RANDOM THINGS I'VE LEARNED THIS WEEK:
That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger... unless it's related to Candy Crush.
No matter how many times I politely ask a teenager to do something for me, their final answer is most likely to be, "huh?" or "Can't you get _____ to do it?"
Two of my favorite foods in the known world, asparagus and bacon, have absolutely ZERO grams of carbohydrates in them!
Since I'm eating a lot of low-carb foods these days in my attempt to be #FitBy50, that's exceptionally good news for me!
If you've been following along with me this month, you know that it's #baconmonth 2013, and that tomorrow is WORLD BACON DAY. In celebration, I plan to make AND consume an obscene amount of these bacon covered beauties.
Crisply cooked asparagus meets and mingles with salty bacon. It's like candy, but not. Indulgent, but in a non-guilty, no-carbs included way. I simply can't get enough of them. I've got big plans for these babies to appear on my breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus into the unforeseeable future.
You really should join me. It's the right thing to do.
- 8 spears fresh asparagus, washed and woody ends removed
- 8 slices bacon
- Kosher or sea salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange bacon on a large baking stone or sheet pan that's lined with parchment paper.
- Cook bacon for 20 minutes, or until cooked, but NOT crispy. Remove pan from oven and drain bacon on paper toweling.
- Wrap each spear of uncooked asparagus with one slice of cooked bacon. Arrange spears in a skillet and if desired, sprinkle with salt. Cook bacon wrapped asparagus over medium high heat for approximately 5 minutes, using tongs to turn spears occasionally to assure that all sides get crisply cooked.
- Remove from skillet and if needed, drain on paper toweling before serving.