When you’re hungry for a BLT and it’s in the middle of corn season, the most delicious thing you can make is this BLT Esquites Sandwich! Crispy bacon meets fresh garden vegetables and a creamy corn salad for a delicious lunch or light dinner.
I suppose I have bacon on the brain and that’s why this sandwich looks so slamfandantastic to me. You can’t really see it in my photos, but there’s a bacon weave at the bottom of the sandwich. You know what I’m talking about, don’t you? A bacon weave looks like this:
By the way, photo credit goes to Nick at Dude Foods. Have you seen his Bacon Weave Double Cheeseburger? Oh em gee. If coronary artery disease didn’t run rampant through my family’s gene pool, I might try one of those burgers. Actually, I might try one anyway. You only live once, so make sure that there are no regrets. Hence my reason for using a bacon weave on my sandwich. No regrets. Reason #2 for my putting together this BLT Esquites sandwich. In case you couldn’t figure it out, #baconmonth was my number one reason. Sheesh, it’s like you don’t know me at all.
Getting back to this yummi BLT Esquites Sandwich… Have you eaten Esquites? You’re shaking your head up and down in the affirmative motion, aren’t you? If not, just know that it’s a delicious Mexican street snack and that you simply must consume mass quantities of it whenever fresh sweet corn is available. That’s my rule, so please try to adhere to it, m’kay?
Esquites is the younger but neater cousin of Elote, which is basically the messiest and most delicious ear of sweet corn you’ll ever sink your teeth into. It’s smothered in mayonnaise, lime juice, spices, and cheese. Uh huh. Amazing wow, right? I told you it was messy and delicious! Anyhoo, I made some up and used it as a condiment or salsa of sorts for my sandwich. It’s adds a depth of flavor that you won’t get with straight up mayo, and the bright yellow color just makes me want to smile.
After you grab the recipe, be sure to scroll down and check out the rest of the Bacon Month recipes happening this week. If you want to see any of last week’s recipes, including my recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara with Browned Butter, just click here. You can visit the I Heart Bacon Pinterest board for even more bacon recipes, too!
I hope you enjoy this esquites loaded BLT!
- 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked
- 4 small leaves of green leaf, romaine, or iceberg lettuce
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ciabatta rolls or bread of your choice, sliced in half
For the Esquites
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ears fresh corn, shucked, kernels removed (about 1.5 cups fresh corn kernels)
- 1 healthy pinch sea or Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ounce cotija or Parmesan cheese, finely crumbled/shredded
- 3 scallion greens, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and stemmed, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, plus more to taste
- Place oil into a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over high heat until shimmering.
- Add corn kernels and salt. Stir once or twice, then cook without disturbing until corn is charred on one side, about 2 minutes. Toss corn, stir, and repeat until charred on second side, about 2 minutes longer. Continue tossing and charring until well charred all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, cheese, scallions, jalapeño, lime juice, and chili powder and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and more chili powder to taste.
- Place rolls onto a serving platter, cut side up.
- Place half of the Esquites on one side of each sandwich. On the opposite side of the roll, stack 4 bacon slices, 2 pieces of lettuce and tomato slices. Place sandwich halves together and open wide to eat and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats