You may be shocked by what I’m about to say. Are you sitting down? You really should sit. This isn’t really standing up kind of news. OK… all comfy?
I baked you something awesome…and I used 100% UNHEALTHY ingredients! You’re in shock, aren’t you? I knew you would be. You can’t say you weren’t warned.
No low-carb flour, REAL sugar, and pure Wisconsin butter. This from the girl who swears that she’ll be “fit by 50”?
See, it’s like this. I AM changing my life for the better. I’m trying to get into God’s word more. To pray more. I’m eating better, I’m (Lord, help me) trying to exercise for the first time in 14 years, and I’m dumping my life of toxic relationships and negative attitudes. I’m working daily to become a better me. It’s a day-by-day, baby steps to progress activity, but along that road, and even when I’m happy with some of the changes that I’ve made, I’ll deserve a pure indulgent treat now and then. That’s when pure, simple ingredients like lemons, butter, sugar, and eggs will come together and sing in harmony as they’re blended with flour and leavening agents to become a light, tangy, moist, and dare I say, delightful dessert! Like THIS quick bread.
There’s nothing fancy at all about this recipe…it’s just pure lemony goodness with little crunch of poppy seeds every now and then. Oh, and just to keep the calories indulgent, I topped it off with a simple lemon glaze and some poppy seeds for garnish.
I’m just gonna jump right into the details of the recipe for you. Pull out your favorite bread pan and flip on your oven to 350 degrees. If you’re more of the cake type, this recipe will yield you 12 standard cupcakes or 24 cute as a kitten mini cupcakes. No matter what you decide to bake, I hope it tastes every bit as wonderful for you as it did for me. Because let’s face it. You deserve nothing less than wonderful.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk (any fat content desired)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a standard sized bread pan with butter.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, kosher salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk sour cream, milk and lemon juice in small bowl to blend. Using electric hand mixer, beat sugar, butter, and lemon zest in large bowl to blend. Add eggs,1 at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating sour cream/milk mixture in 2 additions. Mix just until blended. Stir in poppy seeds. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Mix together melted butter, lemon juice and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze of the consistency you'd like to use. Use an offset spatula to spread or drizzle glaze as desired. To thicken glaze, add more powdered sugar. To thin glaze, add water or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.