Happy National Zucchini Bread Day! This low carb zucchini banana bread recipe is big on taste, but not on your waist! It's moist and delicious, and perfect for a morning breakfast on the run, or an afternoon snack. Come on in to the kitchen and I'll show you how quick and easy this is to make!
Last May, I started on a venture to good health that I named Fit By 50. That title came about because my 50th birthday is January 30th and I wanted to lose 50 pounds by that date. I even hash tagged it... #FitBy50. I was DETERMINED to see results!
But here's the thing... I have a nasty addiction to sugar and carbohydrates. I see bread, pasta, and potatoes in my dreams. TRUE STORY! I love them so much, I wasn't even able to control my portion sizes without feeling deprived, so I decided to take drastic action. I started exercising for the first time in 15 years! My body retaliated and I had a bad injury in July, so then I was REALLY struggling to lose the weight.
To compensate for the lack of exercise, I decided to lower my overall intake of daily carbs, but I wasn't about to eliminate them completely. I knew from past experience that I'd be setting myself up for disaster. That's when I stumbled onto my baking "savior" Bob's Red Mill Low-Carb Baking Mix
. It was the answer to my carb loving dreams! I buy it from Amazon because it's the best deal I've found. (*disclosure* That link up there is an affiliate link. If you click through and make a purchase, Amazon will pay me a few pennies from your purchase, which will help keep this website running. Thank you!) It's SUPER low in carbs (net 6 grams per 1/4 cup), so I've been able to substitute it in recipes that call for all-purpose flour. Like this low carb zucchini banana bread. Using the baking mix, molasses instead of sugar, and loading it up with grated zucchini and a ripe banana allows me to eat a healthy snack that's become my new best friend for an afternoon snack. I hope you enjoy it, too!
If you enjoy reading my posts here and you'd like to see me in other places around the "net", I invite you to follow my adventures and cooking discussions on Facebook, StumbleUpon, Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram
I hope to see you "around town".
Low Carb Zucchini Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups (6.6 ounces) Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix (you can use all-purpose flour, too)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 2/3 cup grated zucchini (squeeze excess liquid out with your hands or paper toweling)
- 1 medium sized ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup molasses (any kind)
- 1/4 cup low fat or full fat sour cream (I don't recommend using fat free)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 360 F.
- Grease a standard sized loaf pan with butter or non-stick spray and dust lightly with flour (this will help the bread release from the pan)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the baking mix, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, zucchini, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Add the banana and molasses and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir JUST until incorporated. Over mixing will result in a dry, crumbly bread.
- Bake at 360 F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and allow it to cool, or serve warm.
Oh, and for those who followed along with my #FitBy50 progress, I turned 50 with 21 pounds left to lose. I've lost another 8 since then, so I continue my low carb eating, now with a focus to be fit AT 50!
Don't miss out on a single new recipe...just fill out this form and let me send them straight to your email inbox for you. Easy peasy!