Although the official date was 2 weeks ago, Mr. Wonderful and I spent all of last week celebrating his 55th birthday. He must have signed up for every birthday club in the known universe, because he had the mother load of coupons for free meals and desserts around town. Since we don't eat out very often, it was really a fun treat for us both! We were able to eat dinner at some of our favorite restaurants...places that we couldn't otherwise have afforded.
Although the main entrees were all delicious, I was REALLY looking forward to the appetizers. Bite sized morsels of love on my tongue... YUMMILICOUS! One of my favorites are potstickers. Brian doesn't really care for them too much in their Asian form, but when I told him that I was inspired to make a Mediterranean version with pork, he was all over the idea like a bee to honey.
I decided to make them using the FREE sample of Pompeian™ OlivExtra Premium Mediterranean Blend oil that I received last week from Smiley360. The products that I've been able to try through the affiliate program have all been outstanding, and the interaction I've had with the other people in the program has been so much fun!
The Pompeian™ Mediterranean Blend is a combination of canola, extra virgin olive, and grapeseed oils. It's got a really wonderful, rich taste. A little goes a long way with this oil. I love that it's high in Omega-3 (850 mg per serving) and it's a great source of Vitamin E antioxidants, too. My favorite aspect is the higher smoke point of this oil. Traditional olive oil will burn at temperatures of about 310-340 degrees F, but this oil has a smoke point of 425-450, making it perfect to pan fry or even deep fry with. You can see the great results I had with these potstickers. The taste was absolutely wonderful... rich, but not overpowering.
I could talk a bit longer about the great quality of the oil and how good these potstickers are, but I think the best way to know how great they are would be to make yourself a batch and find out for yourself. Please leave me a comment below to let me know what you think of these. I love it when you talk food love to me!!
- 1/2 cup Napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 lb lean pork, ground
- 1/2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon white wine
- 1 Tablespoon green onion (scallion), chopped
- 1 teaspoon Pompeian™ Mediterranean Blend oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 wonton or egg roll wrappers
- 2 Tablespoons Pompeian™ Mediterranean Blend oil
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- Sprinkle salt over shredded cabbage; place in a strainer for 5 minutes; squeeze out excess liquid.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cabbage, pork, Worcestershire, wine, scallion, 1 teaspoon oil and garlic.
- On each wrapper (keep them covered with a damp cloth so they do no dry out) place about 2 tsp of the mix and seal the edges, use a bit of water on the edge, try to press out all the air and ensure they are tightly sealed.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; fry dumplings for 1 minute or until golden on one side. Add 1/4 cup of stock into the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 7 minutes without turning, until the dumpling is translucent and most of the liquid has evaporated. Uncover and increase heat to medium, then cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the bottoms are dark brown. Drain on a paper towel, then place on a platter and keep warm.
- Mix the dipping sauce in a small bowl and serve with warm or hot dumplings.