Raise your hand if you love COOKIES!
It’s time for the October edition of the Creative Cookie Exchange, and this month’s theme is apples! When I do baking in the months of October and November, I almost always aim for the inclusion of apples since they’re so readily available for picking fresh here in Wisconsin.
It’s also a given that I love any cookie with great texture. These Salted Caramel Apple Popcorn Cookies fit perfectly into that category. Chewy, crispy, sweet, salty… all in one delicious bite! It’s like a combination of caramel corn, salted popcorn, and caramel apples. It’s serious autumnal love!
There are 12 other bloggers joining me on the mission to bake up cookies using apples as a primary ingredient. Scroll down and take a look at the fabulous sounding recipes, and be sure to head over and visit them. Well, after you’ve finished baking up MINE, of course… 😉
OK, are you prepared to head into salted caramel apple popcorn perfection with me?
Grab your apron and let’s bake some popcorn cookies!
- 3 cups popped plain popcorn
- 6 ounces (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons caramel syrup
- 12 ounces Bob’s Low Carb baking mix (or all-purpose flour, unbleached)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried apples, chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, for coating dough before baking
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and chopped apples. Set aside.
- Place popcorn in food processor or high powered blender and process until as fine as possible. You will find that you don't get a fine powder, that's okay. Leave in the food processor--we'll come back to the popcorn.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter until well creamed, about 30 seconds, then add granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Remove about 1/4 cup, and add to the food processor with the popcorn, and process for another 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the egg to the remaining butter/sugar mixture, beat until light and fluffy, and then add the caramel syrup. Next, add the popcorn/butter mixture and the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer cookie dough to an airtight container, and refrigerate for about an hour before baking.
- To bake, heat the oven to 350. Make nickel to quarter-sized balls of dough (depending on how big you like your cookies), toss in granulated sugar, and then bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove pan from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely, and then enjoy with a warm beverage.
- It's YUMMI!
Here are the rest of the cookie contributions. Yum!
Apple Butterscotch Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands