I’ve created a slow cooker recipe for jalapeno chicken beer cheese soup today that I’m sharing as a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser.
Today’s recipe is for Jalapeno Chicken Beer Cheese soup, made right in your slow cooker. It’ll warm you up on the coldest of days!
Good GRAVY, it’s cold outside! Most of the United States is being barraged with winter storms and instant frostbite inducing wind chills, including my city of Appleton, Wisconsin. The HIGH temperature today is supposed to soar to -12 F. and our wind chills will be in the -53 F. range. You KNOW it’s wicked weather day when even your local Wisconsin grocery store shuts down early. This is a screen shot from an email I received from my local Copps grocery store over the weekend:
I was really grateful for that heads up, so of course, 5,000 of my neighbors and I all decided to stock up on essentials at the same time on Saturday. Oh joy in the morning…or not.
Lesson learned: Be a smart shopper. But wait… I AM a smart shopper at Copps. I recently learned that they’re the SECOND store in my area to tag their products using the Health Key™ System. I first mentioned the system not too long ago, when I shared my recipe for Healthy Cranberry Blood Orange Spritzer, remember?
The Health Key™ system at Copps is a simple guide to eating better and living healthier. There are 18 different color coded tags that help you identify foods that you’re buying. To name a few, there are tags for items that are gluten-free, organic, lean, vegan, and low in saturated fat. The tags are located under the pricing information so they’re relatively easy to spot. You can get the complete health key list and more information about how to use it on the Copps website. I love how it helps me as I’m shopping to be conscious of the foods I’m buying to be sure they’re heart healthy, lean, and whenever possible, organic.
Today’s recipe slow cooker recipe will stick to your ribs and tickle your tongue with a gentle spicy bite from the chopped jalapenos, but my very favorite part of the recipe is that I don’t have to stand over my stove for hours to make it. I popped the ingredients into my slow cooker before I left for work in the morning and when I got home in the afternoon, there were some MAGICAL smells coming to my nose! I really think the low-fat aged white cheddar that I splurged on from the deli made a significant taste improvement in this recipe. Lots of cheese soup recipes call for a traditional yellow cheddar. Don’t get me wrong…I love it like my fleece jammies, but it’s loaded with fat and calories. Besides, there’s something about the smooth aftertaste from a properly aged white cheddar that makes my Wisconsin heart sing! I also used another favorite ingredient for quick, easy, and healthy dinners; frozen, precooked boneless, skinless grilled chicken tenders. Because it’s precooked, I just tossed it into the microwave for about 2 minutes and stirred it into the soup about 10 minutes before we were ready to eat so it had time to catch some of the soup flavors.
Most of you already know that I’m still trying to shed another 25 pounds to make my exterior body happy, so I made this recipe using some products that are lower in fat and calories, including the beer. Because my stomach can’t handle as much spicy heat as it used to, I only used about 1/4 jar of jalapenos. You’re more than welcome to add as many as your heartburn will allow if you like to kick things up a notch! If you don’t need to watch your weight, or you’re willing to splurge on a couple hundred extra calories, I say go all out and use full fat ingredients and fully enjoy this soup for what it is…. comfort food in a bowl. Oh, and don’t forget to pick up a loaf of bread with a nice hearty crust. I DID splurge on those carb loaded calories. How could I say no to soup dunking?!
ENJOY THIS GREAT SLOW COOKER RECIPE and If you haven’t already, please sign up here to get new recipes of mine straight to your inbox!
Email me Chef Bec’s Recipes
I hope you’ll come back to see me soon for more fuel for your stomach AND your spirit!
- 12 ounces light beer (or sub your favorite beer)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, cornstarch, or arrowroot
- 1 cup carrots, medium diced (I used 10 organic baby carrots)
- 1 large yellow or white onion, medium diced
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped (more/less can be used to your taste preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 12-16 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- Green onion (scallions), sliced crosswise, for garnish
- 8 ounces low fat aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, add cold milk and flour or other thickening agent; Whisk to combine and pour contents into a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add all additional ingredients, EXCEPT for the cooked chicken and scallions. Whisk to combine.
- Turn on slow cooker and cook soup on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- minutes before you're ready to serve, add the cooked chicken pieces. After 20 minutes, ladle into bowls and garnish with scallions. Serve with a loaf of sourdough or other hearty crusted bread. Would also be fantastic served in bread bowls!