Finnish almond log cookies are soft, buttery almond meal cookies, rolled in colored sugar and laced with slivered almonds. They will brighten up and sweeten up your holiday cookie platter!
I’m a bit obsessed with holiday cookie recipes. After all, cookies are loaded with carbs, and eating carbs is my favorite
addiction food activity.
That’s one reason that I’m excited to participate in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap this year!
Almond log cookies are my choice for the cookie swap, because I love eating them, and they ship really well!
The rules of the swap are easy: Each of the participants bakes 3 dozen cookies, then ships 1 dozen to each of the three bloggers we’re assigned to swap with. It’s fun to bake and ship cookies to a recipient that has no idea where their cookies are coming from. It’s equally fun receiving 3 boxes of cookies yourself.
Last year, I made cinnamon roll cookies. They are delicious cookies, but also, very fragile. This year, I wanted to bake a unique but equally tasty cookie, and something that wouldn’t crumble to pieces during shipment. So, I decided on these Finnish almond log cookies.
Giving to others warms my heart, so I truly hope that my recipients, Deanna, Chris, and Karen, enjoy their almond log cookies! Special thanks goes out to the wonderful bloggers who sent ME cookies this year. Thank you, Amanda, Jessica, and Kathy for the delicious treats you lovingly sent my way!
Now I hope all of YOU enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed baking the delicious cookies for you!
Enjoy your almond log cookies!
Finnish Almond Log Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 2 Tablespoons colored or white sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon each
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup finely chopped natural or blanched almonds
- 1 large egg white lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to cream the butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar together until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and add egg yolk, almond extract, and salt. Mix on medium speed until well combined. On low speed, gradually add in flour, mixing just until combined. The dough will be stiff but pliable. If dough is sticky, refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 7 or 8 portions. Roll each portion on a lightly floured board or sheet of waxed paper into a rope about 3/8 inch in diameter.
- In a small bowl, stir together the almonds and 2 tablespoons of colored sugar, then sprinkle evenly over a fresh sheet of waxed paper or a sheet of aluminum foil. Brush each rope lightly with the beaten egg white, then carefully roll in the almond-sugar mixture to coat evenly. Cut the ropes
- crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Place on the prepared cookie sheets, spacing them about 1-1/2 inches apart.
- Bake in the center of the oven until set on top and just beginning to turn golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.