Bacon cheddar cornbread is the perfect blend of carbs with bacon! Extra moist, thanks to help from creamed corn, it’s got a wonderful touch of sweetness, making it a perfect snack any time of the day! It’s also the perfect side dish to serve with your weeknight dinner recipes.
Have I mentioned how much I love carbs? Oh yes, I do! But my love for bacon runs just as true blue. My recipe for caramel bacon brownies comes to mind as a natural fit into the ‘naughty’ carbs with bacon category.
Despite the attempts to lower my intake of carbs, I’m still pretty darned infatuated with them, especially when they come in the form of deliciously moist bacon cheddar cornbread. Oh my word! Is intoxicating too strong a description? Crispy edges of perfection, with a moist, tender center. Because of my not-so-secret ingredient, creamed corn, this cornbread is anything but dry.
A warm slice of cornbread, slathered with butter and honey for tastiest results, is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Seriously, bacon cheddar cornbread is a carb lover’s side dish that fits perfectly into any meal plan. Because naturally, bacon fits in well for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The cornbread can be baked in any type of oven safe pan, but for the crispiest edges, I recommend using a cast iron skillet. Cast iron is a fantastic conductor of heat, making it perfect to bake the cornbread evenly. Metal baking pans are notorious for giving inconsistent results. You may have over baked edges and an under baked center, or some other form of semi-inedible goo. Ew.
Bake some bacon cheddar cornbread in a cast iron skillet and be a happy eater!
Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
This bacon cheddar cornbread is moist, thanks to a can of creamed corn. It's got a touch of sweetness that makes it a perfect snack any time of the day!
- Dry Ingredients
- 5.2 ounces (1-1/4 cups) homemade baking mix
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute (I used Erythritol)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)
- Wet Ingredients
- 1 egg (or two egg whites) lightly beaten
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) creamed corn
- 8 ounces (1 fluid cup) low-fat milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 ounces (1/4 liquid cup) canola or vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Placed 1 tablespoon butter or oil into a seasoned 9-inch cast iron or oven safe skillet; place pan into the oven to heat while you prepare your cornbread batter.
- To a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients except for bacon and cheese; whisk to combine, and set bowl aside.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add all wet ingredients; whisk to combine. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a mixing spatula or wooden spoon to stir until dry ingredients are all moistened. Add bacon and cheese; stir to combine.
- Remove hot pan from oven and pour cornbread batter into it and use a spatula to cover entire bottom of pan, if necessary.
- Return pan to the hot oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove pan from oven and serve warm with butter and honey, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 257kcal Calories from fat 124|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 14g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!
Are you a cornbread lover, but you just can’t handle the bacon? It’s ok! Try my turkey chili cornbread skillet, or my recipe for cornmeal cake with sweet rosemary syrup. Yum!