Blueberry cream cheese streusel muffins are tender vanilla coffee cake, laced with cream cheese and plump, juicy blueberries. They’ll put a sweet spring in your step!
I had a little get together with some friends last week, and we talked about recreating our favorite childhood treats. Of course, I mentioned how I had recreated the amazing apple cinnamon crumb cake that my dad used to pick up for us at Meuer’s Bakery.
One of my friends said that she had memories of her grandma’s sour cream pound cake (YUM!) and another mentioned that she is smitten with blueberry desserts. Pie, cobbler, muffins, cookies… she told me that if it’s blue, she’ll eat it! I made her promise not to eat a Smurf, and then assured her that I’m just as smitten with those plump, juicy berries. So much so, in fact, that when my friend Christine made a pan of strawberry cream cheese stuffed streusel cakes, I knew that I’d have to recreate them using blueberries… so I did!
Before you clean or adjust your monitor or your bifocals, rest assured that the photo above is blurry. It’s not supposed to be, mind you, but it is. I got a new camera lens and I’m still practicing. I also accidentally deleted the good photos and kept the bad ones. Sometimes, I really disappoint myself.
*sigh* At least you have a blurry visual of the blueberry cream cheese goodness that awaits you!
I can tell you with all certainty this recipe makes an ahhhh-mazing cake, so despite the bad photos, it tastes tremendous! Light & fluffy cake packed with juicy blueberries and topped with streusel. Seriously…what’s NOT to love?! 🙂
I baked these blueberry cream cheese muffins in a baker’s dream pan!
I bake everything from cakes to individual lasagnas, brownies, and even quiche cups in this pan. It has a non-stick finish, but it’s not Teflon, and I’ve never had to use cooking spray or oil on the pan before using it. Everything just effortlessly slides out, and there’s virtually no mess to clean up!
I hope you love these muffins as much as I do.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Streusel Mini Cakes
For Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup (1.1 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces (1 liquid cup) whole milk
- 2 ounces (1/4 liquid cup) vegetable oil (or other mild tasting oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3.75 ounces (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream cheese filling
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
- Streusel topping
- Combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs; set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, egg, vanilla, and sugar. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Make sure that the flour is incorporated, but be careful not to over mix.
- Place 1/4 cup muffin batter into each cup. Add 2 Tablespoons of the cream cheese filling. Place 4-5 blueberries over top of mixture and add streusel topping evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, and serve slightly warm.