Candied bacon?! In a waffles recipe?! Hey, If you know bacon like I know bacon, you know it’s more delicious when it’s dredged in brown sugar. That’s why I’m sharing this easy waffles recipe idea for candied bacon buttermilk waffles. Your weekend brunch just got a whole lot tastier. Grab your apron and let’s make waffles!
Disclosure: Affiliate links may appear in this post. If you click through and make a purchase, the cost to you is not increased, but I receive a small compensation from the merchant. I use the funds to offset the cost of running this website. Thank you for your support of It's Yummi!
I really enjoy reading cookbooks and looking at recipes from other bloggers and chefs. More often than not, though, I like to switch a recipe up and adapt it to my own tastes. Make it my own, so to speak. However, there are times, like in today’s waffles recipe, where I find a recipe that’s already so perfect in its own right that no substitutions are necessary. This recipe is from the amazing, talented Joy the Baker.
I first came to know Joy and her amazing recipes when I participated in the Sundays with Joy baking group a couple of years ago. My mouth would water as I poured over the pages of her cookbook, and my taste buds tingled at the first tastes of the Oatmeal Raspberry Ginger Scones and the Orange Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. When I saw this recipe for brown sugar bacon waffles, I didn’t hesitate to make a batch for this year’s Bacon Month festivities.
After all, brown sugar bacon is really just a long way of saying candied bacon, and who wouldn’t love that in the morning?!
Seriously, what’s better than some sugar-sweetened bacon tucked inside of a thick, fluffy buttermilk waffle? If you ask me, absolutely nothing. Am I right?
Can’t you taste the candied bacon love?
Sweet candied bacon is tucked inside of tender buttermilk waffles. Can you say "yummi breakfast?"
- 5 thinly sliced pieces bacon (thin cut bacon slices are best)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay bacon out in a single layer. Sprinkle with 1/8 cup brown sugar and place pan into the oven.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and sugar is caramelized. Remove bacon from baking sheet to cool on a cutting board. (Don't use paper toweling...the bacon will stick to it!) then chop into small, bite sized pieces when cooled.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Whisk to blend. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold. Once almost fully incorporated, add the bacon bites. Stir. Try not to over mix the batter or the waffles will become tough. It’s okay if a few lumps remain in the batter.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter into preheated waffle maker. Cook according to manufacturer's directions. Repeat 3 more times.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 583kcal Calories from fat 322|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 36g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!