When your sweet tooth is driving you crazy for a quick snack, curb it with these chocolate cream cheese pocket pies. Just 5 ingredients and less than 30 minutes. Easy peasy recipe!
5 QUICK and IMPORTANT facts:
1. I love cream cheese. It’s so creamy… and cheesy.
2. I love chocolate. If I need to explain why, you clearly have some life experiences that you’re missing out on. Add tasting chocolate to your bucket list and let’s move on.
3. I love hand held foods. There’s just something especially wonderful about being able to take a meal with me where ever I go. Not to mention, convenient, especially when your life is so crazy you spend your days running around looking like a decapitated chicken. Besides the practical reasons, I think hand held foods are rather cute, don’t you?
4. I love pie. I love the versatility of it. No matter what ingredients I feeling like adding, it seems to work out perfectly when it hits my palate. The flaky crust lends a perfect touch to a breakfast quiche, an afternoon tart, a dinner pot pie, or a beautiful and delicious dessert.
5. The recipe below is the best of all possible worlds because it meets all of the above requirements, AND the results are absolutely delicious!
I made these on a day when I had a gigantic sweet tooth but very little time to do much in the way of handling it efficiently. I was lucky enough to find some pastry dough in my freezer that I had made last month, but if you’re in a hurry and don’t have the time or a desire to make your crust, this recipe adapts perfectly using prepared pie crust that you can pick up in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Heck, you can even make them with puff pastry, phyllo dough, or even put the filling into cream puff shells.
Oh, by the way… HAPPY WONKA WEDNESDAY!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pocket Pies
Chocolate Cream Cheese Hand Pies
- 24 oz pie dough or 1 pkg Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons milk any variety
- 1 1/3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg white mixed with 2 Tablespoons of water to make an egg wash
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. (If you have a convection oven, set to 325 F)
- Using an electric mixer with a medium-sized bowl, combine the cream cheese, cocoa powder, milk, and powdered sugar on medium speed until the mixture is combined and smooth.
- Roll out pastry dough to 1/4" thickness and cut into circles with a 3" round biscuit cutter. Roll each circle into a 5-6" diameter circle, approx 1/8" thick.
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling onto one half of each circle, leaving approximately 1/8" edge all the way around.
- Use your finger or a small pastry brush to cover the edges with egg wash.
- Fold the pastry dough over the filling and use a fork or your fingers to crimp the edges closed.
- Brush the outside of the dough with egg wash (this will help to create a nice golden brown color) and if desired, sprinkle with granulated sugar. Use a fork to pierce holes into the top of the pastry so that steam can escape.
- Place the pies on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone pastry mat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.