When I was trying out the wonderful products that I received from True Citrus last weekend, one of the recipes I developed was this one for Chocolate Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream.
These cupcakes have a wonderful blend of bittersweet chocolate, raspberry, and a nice perky “punch” from the lemon.
I used the True Citrus Crystallized Lemon for Cooking and Baking to make these, but if you don’t have any, you can also use a Tablespoon of lemon juice.
These cupcakes are a great blend of rich, dark chocolate and the tart and tangy tastes of summer.
For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (2.2 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1.1 oz) cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon True Citrus Crystallized Lemon
- 1/3 cup (2.3 oz.) granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) raspberry puree
For the Buttercream
- 4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon True Citrus Crystallized Lemon (or 1 Tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (or more, to taste)
- Heat oven to 350 F (325 F if using a convection oven)
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, or in a microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and True Lemon (if using lemon juice instead, add it to the wet ingredients in the next step)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, sugar, extracts, raspberry puree, and the chocolate mixture.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, just until well combined, but don't over mix or your cupcakes will be tough and chewy.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
To Make the Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and powdered sugar on low speed. Add the True Citrus Crystallized Lemon and lemon extract and beat on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- If the frosting is too dry, add a few drops of water at a time until it reaches the proper consistency. Alternatively, if the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
|Serving Size||1 cupcake|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3268kcal Calories from fat 1520|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 169g||260%|
|Saturated Fat 104g||520%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!
Have you entered my True Lemon Giveaway yet?