Chocolate peppermint cookies are chewy chocolate cookies kissed with peppermint and chocolate covered raisins. A Christmas cookie recipe that’s approved for kids and adults of all ages!
Welcome to Christmas cookie week 2013! I’ve joined together this week with 23 of my blog friends to share holiday and Christmas cookie treats! We have every type of cookie recipe you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps!
With Thanksgiving and the December holidays right around the corner, we’re baking up holiday inspired cookies so that you don’t have to dig into cookbooks for recipes. Just visit our blogs and share the links to the recipes right onto your Facebook wall, into your favorite Pinterest Boards, or anywhere else that you like to bookmark and save your favorites!
From November through January, the popular flavors in my kitchen are gingerbread, peppermint, and chocolate.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies with Chocolate Covered Raisins
When I was in New Orleans for the Fresh Summit conference, I stopped by to visit the great folks from Sun-Maid. They stocked my swag bag with samples of a new product that will be hitting store shelves later this month… peppermint yogurt covered raisins! My heart fluttered and I felt a little woozy… they’re SO delicious! They also swagged me some traditional chocolate yogurt covered raisins.
The photos you see here are of the chocolate peppermint cookies made with peppermint yogurt covered raisins.
Substitute for Yogurt Covered Raisins
If you can’t find yogurt covered raisins in the grocery store, this chocolate peppermint cookies recipe could easily be made with regular chocolate covered raisins. You know, like Raisinets.
BONUS! – The chocolate peppermint cookies freeze REALLY well. Just be sure to place them into plastic wrap or zip top bags, then wrap the bags in heavy duty aluminum foil.
More Chocolate Peppermint Treats to Eat:
- Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies
- Easy Peppermint Fudge Brownies Recipe
- Peppermint Cocoa Almond Milkshakes
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are chewy chocolate cookies kissed with peppermint and yogurt covered raisins. An easy Christmas cookie recipe!
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, (10.5 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt covered raisins, or chocolate covered raisins
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 365 degrees F.
- In a double-boiler over simmering (not boiling) water, melt 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter together with the unsweetened chocolate. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, blend both sugars and butter at medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the insides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and peppermint, and continue beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour mixture, mixing JUST until combined, then stir in raisins and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment paper lined baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the oven for 9-11 minutes, or until set. Remove pan from oven, wait 2-3 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Check out the delicious looking cookies the rest of the gang made up for their posts today!
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookies by The Cooking Actress
Caramel Apple Cider Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars with Peanut Butter Frosting by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Chocolate-Filled Christmas Thumbprint Cookies by Food Lust People Love
Chocolate Fudge Brownie Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
Dark Chocolate Andes Cookie Cups by Beyond Frosting
Rolo Brownie Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
What an AMAZING cookie lineup! With THIS many great ideas, EVERY DAY this week, ovens all over the world are gonna be HOT, HOT, HOT!