These cheesy crab bites are one of those low carb appetizers that disappear so quickly, you’ll need to make a triple batch of them. Mini bell peppers are filled with cream cheese, bacon, and crab, then topped with crispy pork rinds and baked until golden and bubbly. It’s a gluten free, low carb recipe that you’ll make so often, you’ll have the recipe memorized!
Disclosure: Affiliate links may appear in this post. If you click through and make a purchase, the cost to you is not increased, but I receive a small compensation from the merchant. I use the funds to offset the cost of running this website. Thank you for your support of It's Yummi!
I love making “poppable”, miniature sized foods like I did with today’s low carb appetizers. I suppose the real reason for that is to help with portion control, but truthfully, I have to say that there’s no way I could stop after eating just one of these hot cheesy crab bites. They’re just too good!
If you want another low carb appetizer to make with bell peppers, go check out my recipe for steak fajita bites, too. Completely yummi!
What are your favorite low carb appetizers?
Low Carb Appetizers ~ Cheesy Crab Bites
Sweet bell peppers are filled with cream cheese, bacon, and crab, then topped with crispy pork rinds and baked until golden and bubbly.
- 6 mini bell peppers, washed, seeded, and sliced in half from top to bottom
- 6 ounces crab meat (fresh or canned), finely chopped
- 3 slices uncooked bacon, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 3 ounces (6 Tablespoons) cream cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange peppers cut side up on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Add bacon to a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onions and continue to cook 4-5 minutes more, until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent. Take pan off heat and transfer onions and bacon to paper toweling to drain. (You won't need the grease.)
- Add remaining ingredients, except pork rinds, to a mixing bowl. Stir with a large spoon to combine everything until creamy, then add the onions and bacon and stir to combine.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling into each of the bell pepper halves. Top with crushed pork rinds and place pan into oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until peppers have softened and mixture is hot and bubbly.
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!