This easy peppermint fudge brownies recipe is going to become your favorite go-to brownie. Chewy, fudgy, dark cocoa brownies topped with a peppermint cream cheese frosting and some crushed candy canes. It’s just soyummi!
I can’t seem to get caught up with the holiday dessert train. I keep baking and the train keeps on moving closer to Christmas. I need time to stand still for a couple of days, please!
Notes about this peppermint fudge brownies recipe
Unlike many of the healthy dessert recipes that I’ve been creating lately, this pan of brownies will not help lose any excess weight you may be hanging on to.
It’s the holidays after all… a time to relax, celebrate, and enjoy yourself. We can all jump back on to the eating well wagon together in 2015, okay? 🙂
After learning the shocking news that non-organic corn syrup (and especially high fructose corn syrup) contains mercury and is genetically modified, I stopped using it. I’ve also stopped using processed food coloring.
To allow for the celebration of all things sweet, I found two great products to help me when I’m baking snacks and desserts like these brownies: Organic corn syrup and dye-free and corn syrup free organic candy canes.
Of course, I refuse to be the judgmental, end all, be all source for what you should or shouldn’t put into your body. I’m just here to give the facts and let you decide for yourself what you will and won’t feed your family. Please use any variety of crushed peppermint candies that you want for the top of these brownies. They’ll still be delicious and your taste buds will thank you!
Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Peppermint Frosting
- 1 box brownie mix or use homemade brownies mix
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
For Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 ounces cream cheese (1/4 cup), regular, low fat, or fat free
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon milk any variety - I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 candy canes crushed, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare brownies in an 8 or 9-inch square pan, or a 9 x 12-inch pan, according to package directions or your homemade chocolate fudge brownies recipe, adding peppermint extract to the other ingredients before mixing.
- After brownies have baked, remove from oven and cool completely before applying frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Add cream cheese and butter to the large bowl of a hand or electric stand mixer, Beat on high until fluffy and well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed, until well combined, then add milk and extract and turn speed to high. Beat 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy. If frosting appears too dry, add more milk, 1/2 tablespoon at a time. If it appears too wet, or not sweet enough for your taste, add more powdered sugar.
- Use an offset spatula to frosting the brownies, then sprinkle tops with crushed candy canes or peppermint candies, if desired.
P.S. If you are a fan of peppermint like I am, check out these yummi recipes, too: