Disclosure: Affiliate links may appear in this post. If you click through and make a purchase, the cost to you is not increased, but I receive a small compensation from the merchant. I use the funds to offset the cost of running this website. Thank you for your support of It's Yummi!
If you use this easy and inexpensive recipe, you don’t need to spend money to buy your French fried onions (and preservatives!) in a can or bag anymore. These fried onions are great on homemade breads, soups, and casseroles.
This recipe can be made two ways: In a cast iron skillet, using a small amount of olive oil (the healthiest option, as olive oil is a polyunsaturated fat), or in a traditional deep fryer. If using a deep fryer, it is recommended to use oil that has a higher smoke point, such as peanut or vegetable oil.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- 2 large onions
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1.5 cups flour (gluten-free, if desired)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or 3-4 cups for deep fryer)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cast Iron Skillet (or deep fryer)
- Cutting Board
- Sharp knife
- Paper Towels
- Begin by peeling and slicing your large onions into very thin slices. Once the onions are cut into the thin slices cut those slices again into halves. This will make smaller onion pieces that will fry faster and be easier to drain of the remaining oil.
- Heat your olive oil in a cast iron skillet over low to medium heat. Test the temperature of your hot frying oil by dropping in one onion slice and watching if it starts to fry. Once your oil is hot enough, gradually add the onion slices. Be sure not to crowd them when they are cooking and monitor them closely so they do not burn. Turn them frequently during cooking to ensure even frying.
- Remove the French fried onion strips from the hot oil and place them on a plate with several paper towels. Season with salt and black pepper as you like. Allow them to drain and cool off for about 10 minutes before using them. If they aren’t as crispy as you like them, lay them on a baking sheet and bake them in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes for a nice toasty flavor and crunch!
Wishing you love in your heart, peace in your mind, and food to keep your body happy!