Low carb chicken recipes don’t get much tastier than a crock pot low carb chicken bowl! Greek chicken is slow cooked, then shredded and tossed with fresh steamed vegetables. It’s one of my slow cooker recipes that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
Look at me rockin’ the low carb meal plan! I have a healthy Greek chicken recipe that you will love!
Truth be told, I REALLY wanted to eat the crock pot low carb chicken dripping with lots of creamy, fat-laden Tzatziki sauce and tucked into warm pita bread. Thankfully, as I was reaching for the bread drawer, a wind blew in the window and my thunder thighs started slapping together. That was all the motivation I needed to leave the carbs alone. Besides, the low carb chicken bowl is so tasty, it doesn’t need any carbs whatsoever.
What type of chicken should I use in this crock pot low carb chicken recipe?
Most of the healthy chicken dinner recipes on my site call for boneless skinless chicken breast. However, because this is a crock pot chicken recipe, I suggest using boneless skinless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are higher in fat, so they won’t dry out during the 4 hour cooking time in the slow cooker.
Crock Pot Low Carb Chicken Bowl Ingredients
There are just a few simple ingredients in the low carb chicken bowls, and the bowls are really easy to adapt to whatever veggies your family likes.
The shredded chicken is moist, loaded with great Mediterranean flavor, and SO filling. The steamed veggies are perfectly seasoned. To give the Greek chicken dish a nice extra zap of flavor, squeeze some fresh lemon over the top before serving it. If you’re not limiting your carbs, definitely serve this with the starch of your choice; rice, pasta, or pitas would be great options.
Is it easy to make, you ask? OH YES it is! 4 hours on low in a and you’ll be doing the low carb chicken bowl dance!
Crock Pot Low Carb Chicken Bowls
For the Greek Chicken:
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, or breasts
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, or broth
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cups mixed vegetables, frozen or fresh
- Place chicken into a gallon size Ziploc bag. Add all other ingredients, squeeze out as much air from the bag as possible, and seal the bag. Massage the bag to combine everything and place the bag of chicken into the refrigerator to marinate for 2-12 hours.
- Empty contents of bag into a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 4 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink and shreds easily with a fork.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken inside of the slow cooker, add the frozen mixed veggies, replace the lid, and allow it to cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Alternately, you can steam fresh vegetables separately and then stir them into the shredded chicken.
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve.