Grilled romaine lettuce, paired with grilled oranges, bacon, tomatoes, and red onion, topped with a drizzle of pomegranate balsamic dressing. This is a healthy dinner salad that will fill your taste buds with flavor!
Omgosh, friends. I can’t even explain how excited I was when I stepped onto the scale this week.
It was my first weigh-in since late October, and I was terrified, until I learned that I hadn’t gained the 10 pounds that I typically gain over the holidays. In fact, by just watching my portion sizes and walking a few miles across the store floor during my work shifts, I’ve managed to LOSE 6 pounds! I’m beyond giddy and I hope now that I’m actually planning low carb meals, maybe this last 20 pounds will come off more quickly. Once it gets warmer out, I’ll be able to get some routine exercise into my day, too.
So, about today’s healthy grilled romaine salad recipe…
You’re drooling, aren’t you? It’s okay, I completely get it, and I share the sentiment. This grilled romaine salad is healthy and it has everything I want in a salad, including the low carb love of my life, bacon! The best part is, I ignored the 50 below zero wind chill outside (yes, it really did get that cold!) and just placed my grill pan on the stove top to make dinner. Easy peasy, life’s so breezy.
I really think you’ll fall for the flavors and textures going on in this salad. Crunchy, grilled romaine lettuce, with just the tiniest bit of char on the edges. Then there’s salty bacon, sweet grilled oranges, soft blue cheese, and juicy ripe tomatoes. All drizzled with a sweet pomegranate balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Of course, it’s a salad, so it’s easy to customize! Add in a protein like chicken, or any extra veggies that you’re craving.
I hope you like this grilled romaine salad as much as I do!
How to Make Grilled Romaine Salad
Grilled Romaine Salad with Pomegranate Balsamic Dressing
A healthy dinner salad of grilled romaine lettuce, grilled oranges, bacon, tomato, red onion, and salty blue cheese, all drizzled with a pomegranate balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- 4 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 5 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, core removed, cleaned, and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 large seedless oranges, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, or other soft, salty cheese
- Heat an indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to high.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in grill pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your tomatoes, cheese, and any other desired toppings. Remove onion and bacon from the pan and transfer to paper toweling to drain.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan and allow mixture to reduce for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a heat proof bowl and set aside.
- Brush the romaine with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place on the grill cut-side down and quickly sear until grill marks are visible. Set aside. Add sliced oranges to pan and cook on each side for 30 seconds, just to get a nice color.
- For each serving, place a half head of romaine cut-side up on a plate and drizzle the balsamic dressing on top. Sprinkle with blue cheese, bacon, onion, tomatoes, and oranges.
Don’t forget to stop by the blogs of my friends who are also posting their happy & healthy reports today:
So tell me…HOW WAS YOUR WEEK?