Hot fudge brownies are thin, cake-style brownies with rich hot fudge and a layer of salted caramel glaze on top. A decadent and delicious brownies from scratch recipe.
Jeepers, I have some brutal fans! When I posted an innocent little photo of these hot fudge brownies on my Facebook page yesterday, an unsuspecting onlooker might have thought I had committed sins against all 10 of the commandments or something.
People were threatening to take my first born child if I didn’t get the recipe posted ASAP! So, I will not go into much chatter about this brownies from scratch recipe. I’m just going to leave you with one itty bitty word of advice before I give you the recipe…
Put on your stretchy pants before you make this hot fudge brownies recipe!
Because the brownies are thin, all of the hot fudge flavor is intensified, meaning they are super rich, fudgy brownies. Ironically, this isn’t a fudgy brownie recipe. These are actually cake-style brownies. To get a fudgy consistency, bake them in a [amazon_textlink asin=’B0029JOC6I’ text=’9 x 13-inch cake pan’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4fb5c932-3d79-11e7-affd-81feadcd6967′]. If you like brownies that are less dense and more cake-style, bake them in an [amazon_textlink asin=’B0029JMMRE’ text=’8-inch square pan’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’6d79dedc-3d79-11e7-8b61-2fc4acbf1222′].
Whether you make them thin or thick, don’t skip the thing that takes these hot fudge brownies over the top: the salted caramel glaze!
Update: Since writing this post, I’ve also made this recipe using a smaller pan, creating a true cake-style brownie recipe. See the new salted caramel brownies from scratch recipe and video tutorial here.
Hot Fudge Brownies with Salted Caramel Glaze
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweeteend cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon. baking powder
- 8 oz unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons. pure vanilla extract
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce
For the Salted Caramel Glaze
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9.5 x 11 pan (or line with foil or parchment paper and then grease, if desired - This will make it easier to remove the brownies from the pan.)
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In large microwavable bowl, melt butter in 30 second intervals, stirring after each until smooth. Add sugar & vanilla, and whisk until well-combined. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add cocoa mixture and whisk until fully combined.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the hot fudge until it's smooth and a pourable consistency. Stir into batter. Pour into the prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs. (If you like your brownies really fudgy, slightly underbake them) Allow them to cool completely.
FOR THE GLAZE
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the heavy cream - but DO NOT boil! Keep it warm.
- In a separate medium saucepan, combine sugar & water but DO NOT STIR. Place over medium-high heat & bring to a boil. Cook until mixture turns an amber color (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add warm cream, butter, and 1/2 of the salt. Stir gently until smooth & well combined. Pour over the cooked brownies and use an offset spatula to spread it evenly over the surface. Sprinkle with remaining kosher salt.
- Allow glaze to set before cutting and serving.
If you love brownies from scratch as much as I do, be sure to also check out my Fudgy Chocolate Chunk Best Ever Brownies Recipe.
If you’re watching your waistline, but you still need a chocolate fix, check out my recipe for low carb chocolate crinkles.