Lemon poppy seed quick bread is loaded with citrus flavor and topped with a tangy, delicious glaze. It’s perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning, for an afternoon snack, or dessert!
You may be shocked by what I’m about to say, so please sit down.
Are you sitting down, because this isn’t really standing up kind of news. OK, are you comfy?
I baked you some awesome lemon poppy seed bread, and I used 100% UNHEALTHY ingredients!
You’re in shock, aren’t you? I apologize, but I did give you a fair warning.
This lemon poppy seed bread has no low-carb flour, real cane sugar, and pure Wisconsin butter. This from the girl who swears that she’s trying to lose 50 pounds?!
Well, I am changing my life for the better. I’m trying to get into God’s word more often, and I definitely pray more than I used to.
I’m eating healthier, exercising (for the first time in 14 years!), and ridding my life of toxic relationships and negative attitudes. I’m working daily to become a better me.
It’s a day by day, moment by moment, baby steps toward progress activity. But along that road, even when I’m happy with the changes I’m making, I deserve an indulgent treat now and then. That’s when pure, simple ingredients like lemons, butter, sugar, and eggs come together, singing in harmony as they become a delightful lemon quick bread.
There’s nothing fancy at all about this recipe – it’s just pure lemony goodness with little crunch of poppy seeds every now and then. Just to keep the calories indulgent, there is a simple lemon glaze and some poppy seeds on top.
Let’s jump right in to the details of the lemon poppy seed bread recipe.
Take out your favorite bread pan (this pan is my favorite) and turn your oven to 350 degrees F. If you prefer cake, this recipe will yield 12 standard cupcakes, or 24 cute as a kitten mini cupcakes. No matter what you bake, I hope it tastes every bit as wonderful for you as it did for me.
Because let’s face it. You deserve nothing less than wonderful.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk (any fat content desired)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a standard sized bread pan with butter.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, kosher salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk sour cream, milk and lemon juice in small bowl to blend. Using electric hand mixer, beat sugar, butter, and lemon zest in large bowl to blend. Add eggs,1 at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating sour cream/milk mixture in 2 additions. Mix just until blended. Stir in poppy seeds. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE
- Mix together melted butter, lemon juice and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze of the consistency you'd like to use. Use an offset spatula to spread or drizzle glaze as desired. To thicken glaze, add more powdered sugar. To thin glaze, add water or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Want to make more dessert recipes with lemons?