Low carb zucchini banana bread is big on taste, but not on your waist! This low carb banana bread recipe is moist and delicious, perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Come on in to the kitchen and I’ll show you how quick and easy this is to make. The timing is perfect, because today is National Banana Bread Day!
Last May, I started on a venture to good health that I named Fit By 50, because my 50th birthday is January 30th and I want to lose 50 pounds by that date. I even hash tagged it… #FitBy50. I was DETERMINED to see results!
But here’s the thing… I have a nasty addiction to sugar and carbohydrates. I see bread, pasta, and potatoes in my dreams. Seriously! I love them so much, I am unable to control my portion sizes without feeling deprived, so I decided to take drastic action. I started exercising for the first time in 15 years! My body retaliated and I had a bad injury in July, so then I was REALLY struggling to lose the weight.
To compensate for the lack of exercise, I decided to lower my overall intake of daily carbs, but I wasn’t about to eliminate them completely. I knew from past experience that I’d be setting myself up for disaster. That’s when I stumbled onto my baking “savior” Bob’s Red Mill Low-Carb Baking Mix. It was the answer to my carb loving dreams! I buy it from Amazon because it’s the best deal I’ve found. (*disclosure* That link up there is an affiliate link. If you click through and make a purchase, Amazon will pay me a few pennies from your purchase, which will help keep this website running. Thank you!) It’s SUPER low in carbs (net 6 grams per 1/4 cup), so I’ve been able to substitute it in recipes that call for all-purpose flour. Like this low carb zucchini banana bread. Using the baking mix, molasses instead of sugar, and loading it up with grated zucchini and a ripe banana allows me to eat a healthy snack that’s become my new best friend for an afternoon snack. I hope you enjoy it, too!
If you enjoy reading my posts here and you’d like to see me in other places around the “net”, I invite you to follow my adventures and cooking discussions on Facebook, StumbleUpon, Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram
I hope to see you “around town”. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this Low Carb Zucchini Banana Bread recipe!
Low Carb Zucchini Banana Bread Recipe
- 1.5 cups Bob’s Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix*
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup grated zucchini (squeeze excess liquid out with your hands or paper toweling)
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sour cream**
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 360 F.
- Grease a standard sized loaf pan with butter or non-stick spray and dust lightly with flour (this will help the bread release from the pan)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the baking mix, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, zucchini, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Add the mashed banana and molasses and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir JUST until incorporated. Over mixing will result in a dry, crumbly bread.
- Bake at 360 F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and allow it to cool, or serve warm.
** If you want to use light sour cream, it will also work, but I don't recommend using fat-free.