When it’s cold and dreary outside, or you’re feeling down and blue, let these Meyer lemon cupcakes bring a little sunshine to your life!
Did you know that today is national lemon cupcake day? But it’s the middle of December and there isn’t a fresh lemon to be found anywhere in the midwestern parts of the United States! Therefore, I’ve decided that the person who declared this day in honor of lemons must either live in sunny California, where lemons grow in abundance throughout the year, or they just have no sense of climate changes.
Nevertheless, I’m saved, because I have friends who live in California and they can be
bribed persuaded to ship me a box full of lovely, fragrant Meyer lemons in exchange for a few good lemon cookies… or these Meyer lemon cupcakes!
Bake, eat, and be merry! Oh, and know that the lovely lemons you use for this recipe will benefit your health, and we all know that one health benefit trumps 18 grams of sugar any day of the week 🙂
Meyer Lemon Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted. Or make your own by using 2 cups of all-purpose flour minus 4 tablespoons and then add 4 tablespoons of corn starch.
- 1 cup (7.5 oz.) white granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (7 oz.) lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the icing
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Gel-paste food coloring
For the cupcakes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (325 convection)
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 standard paper liners
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and sift together.
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together and then add the egg, zest and lemon juice. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until they’re combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into each cup.
- Bake for 20-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before icing.
- Make 12 standard sized cupcakes
For the Icing
- In a medium bowl beat the butter and shortening together
- Sift the confectioner’s sugar into the bowl along with the egg whites, vanilla, and coloring
- Beat ingredients together with an electric mixer until well combined