Mocha lovers rejoice! This mocha cinnamon roll pound cake is moist chocolate cake spiked with cinnamon-vanilla flavored coffee. With the addition of cinnamon roll coffee creamer and cream cheese, it’s like having Sunday brunch and dessert all in one delicious bite!
Confession: I’m a bit of a dork.
When we whipped together this pound cake we were absolutely FLOORED. There are no hard and fast rules about pound cake consumption. Some say it should be in moderation… well maybe thats true but we can make and eat it every flipping day if we really want to.
Truth be told, this cake is so yummi, you may decide to do just that, and I’d stand beside you 100% and support your decision.
So here we are… dark chocolate pound cake spiked cinnamon-vanilla coffee, and a splash of cinnamon roll coffee creamer just for good measure. (International Delights for the big win!)
NOTE: If you can’t find the cinnamon roll coffee creamer you can use heavy cream for substitute.
I considered topping it with cream cheese frosting, but my famous 3-ingredient chocolate ganache was already made. Incidentally, if you haven’t made that recipe, you’ll flip when you see what I use instead of heaving whipping cream!
After adding chocolate ganache, I felt like the cake needed more color, so I made powdered sugar glaze drizzled it over the top. We just felt like being a little fancy.
And for those days you are feeling entirely NOT fancy and just want a dessert of your own and all to yourself – be sure to check out our edible cookie dough recipe. 🍪
So, do you wanna bake a mocha pound cake?
Oh, one more quick, but important note before I share the recipe.
One way to avoid flops is by weighing our ingredients on a kitchen scale instead of using measuring cups. You may not realize this, but all measuring cups are not made alike.
Weighing ingredients on a kitchen scale assures consistency – the recipe will be made exactly the same way, every time. So while we will provide cup measurements it’s just worth noting that results simply will not be as consistent.
Recipe Options for this Mocha Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake
- Can’t Find Cinnamon Roll Creamer? If you can’t find the cinnamon roll coffee creamer you can use heavy cream as a substitute.
- Don’t Have Cake Flour? If you don’t have cake flour on hand you can use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour. Just a heads up though that the cake will not won’t be as moist. It 100% still delicious but it does alter the texture a bit.
- Don’t Have Dutch Process Cocoa Powder? Dutch cocoa powder has alkaline in it to give the cake a deeper, darker color. You can use regular unsweetened cocoa powder if that’s all you have.
If you don’t care much for mocha, make these pound cake recipes instead!
Mocha Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake
- 12 ounces (1.5 cups) unsalted butter, softened (but still a bit cool)
- 4 ounces (1/3 cup) cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
- 13 ounces (1.5 cups) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 10.5 ounces ( 2 1/3 cups) cake flour *
- 2.5 ounces (2/3 cups) unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder **
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces brewed coffee, cooled (I used cinnamon-vanilla flavor)
- 3 ounces coffee creamer , (I used International Delights Cinnabon flavor)
For Top of Cake
- 1 cup chocolate ganache, (recipe link in instructions)
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk, (more for thinner consistency)
- Prepare a 12-cup Bundt pan with a flour-based baking spray such as Baker's Joy. Set aside. (I used 2 small loaf pans (8.5 inches x 4.5 inches)
- Heat the oven to 325 F. and place your oven rack in the center position.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add both types of sugar, salt and vanilla extract; increase speed to medium-high and beat until lightened in color and fluffy, about 7-10 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl and paddle as necessary.
- Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl, and with the mixer on medium low, add them to the butter/cream cheese mixture about 1 egg at a time, making sure to let it incorporate completely before adding the next egg. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder
- Combine the brewed coffee and coffee creamer together in a cup.
- Add the dry and wet ingredients to the batter in three additions alternating between them, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix for only a few seconds between additions.
- Once the last amount of dry ingredients are in the bowl, mix until barely combined and then finish mixing with a spoon or mixing spatula, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to fully incorporate all the ingredients.
- The batter will be thick and billowy.
- Scrape the batter evenly into your prepared pan(s) and bake in the center of the oven until done, about 60 to 80 minutes. ***
- Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 20-30 minutes before turning it out to cool completely.
- To garnish the cake, apply chocolate ganache with a spatula to the top of the cooled cake.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk. Apply glaze as desired over the chocolate ganache.