Slow cooker Italian chicken is a hearty, flavorful meal that’s cooked from start to finish in your slow cooker.
No time to cook? No worries! Turn your frown upside down with this delicious recipe for slow cooker Italian chicken! It’s packed with healthy chicken breast, tender orzo pasta, and lots of Italian flavors.
Yay! It’s time for another recipe for the Secret Recipe Club This month, I was assigned to make a recipe of Sarah’s. She’s the talented foodie behind The Pajama Chef.
What’s super special about this post is that until I was assigned to create something from Sarah’s blog, I hadn’t ever heard of her. There’s pure awesomeness in making new foodie connections, and let me tell ya, there’s a heck of a lot of love that I just acquired for her blog and her recipes!
Oh, and when I found her Pinterest boards, I learned that we have more than our love for food and cooking in common. Sarah is a librarian, so of course she loves to read, and I do, too. Although, with poor eyesight, my reading is mostly cookbooks and the Bible.
Sarah and I also share a love for cats and Jesus! After I learned that about her, I knew in my heart that we were destined to be BFFs. Then it got better, you guys! I learned that her husband Ben loves bacon. That seals the deal. Now I want to move in next door to them! 🙂
I had a horribly difficult time deciding which recipe of hers to make. She’s got recipes for everything from a sinfully delicious Pumpkin French Toast Sandwich (which I’m absolutely making once the fall weather hits) and Brown Sugar Bacon Twists (made by her husband, Ben). Sarah makes quick and healthy dinners like Pineapple Fried Rice, too.
This is typically a crazy busy time of the year for me, so I chose to make a yummi slow cooker recipe of hers. One quick search through her dinner recipe index landed me smack dab in the middle of her recipe for slow cooker Italian chicken! Sara’s version is Crock Pot Saucy Italian Chicken.
Before I made a final decision, I took a quick look through my recipe database to see if I had already made a recipe for slow cooker Italian chicken. Turns out, I’ve made very few things in my slow cooker. This needs to change, because I love using it! That search reminded me that I need to make another batch of BBQ sticky rice, and another slow cooker Italian meatloaf pretty soon, though.
They are amazing slow cooker dinners!
There was just one small change that I made to Sarah’s recipe. I absolutely detest olives of all colors, shapes, and sizes. In my opinion, they’re slimy and too salty, and they make me gag.
No hate mail, please. 😉
It was no problem for me, because I used fresh mushrooms instead. Easy peasy!
Grab your apron and get ready to get saucy with this recipe for slow cooker Italian chicken!
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced and quartered, or 2 small cans
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), seeded and diced medium
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- prepared pasta or rice, for serving
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Place tomatoes in a large slow cooker (I used a 6 quart size)
- Use a small knife or fork to cut each tomato in half. Add tomato paste, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and herbs/spices. Stir to combine.
- Lay chicken thighs evenly over tomato mixture and stir to coat. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve over pasta or rice, with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.