This rocky road bundt cake is a wild and wonderful combination of Elvis Presley’s favorite sandwich flavors, banana and peanut butter, with the rocky road ingredients of chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts. Grab your apron (and maybe your blue suede shoes) and come into the virtual kitchen and we’ll bake up my Elvis on a Rocky Road bundt cake!
I’ve joined some super talented bloggers in a group called Bundt Bakers, and this is my first month participating with them.
Every month, someone in the group is in charge of hosting the event and creating the topic and/or ingredient that everyone’s bundt cake recipe needs to be based on. This month, Laura from Baking in Pyjamas is our host. She selected our theme to be centered around Rocky Road… cookies, chocolate, marshmallow, and nuts. That’s how this rocky road bundt cake creation started. But I didn’t stop there!
The fun part of this group is that we’re all allowed to put our own unique twist on the theme, so as long as some of the rocky road ingredients were used, we were free to get creative. I took that invitation and ran with it!
I am a huge fan of peanut butter and banana flavors in cakes and muffins. Those were also the ingredients in Elvis Presley’s favorite sandwich, so I thought I’d combine them with the rocky road ingredients and see what kind of deliciousness I could bake up.
Th only trouble that I had in creating this rocky road bundt cake was with the marshmallow sauce. I don’t know why, exactly, but I couldn’t get it to thicken up. That’s why you see mini marshmallows on top instead of a ribbon of glossy white marshmallow glaze.
I’ve made it successfully before, so I decided to leave it in the recipe for you. If you’d rather not use it, you can join me in putting a marshmallow parade on top of the cake instead.
I think you’re going to love this rocky road bundt cake!
After you’ve taken a look, keep scrolling down to check out the other delicious rocky road themed bundts from my blogging friends!
Bananas, chocolate chips, and walnuts are baked up into a delicious bundt cake, which is then drizzled with chocolate ganache, peanut butter glaze, and marshmallow sauce. This is an epic bundt cake recipe!
- 7.5 ounces (1 cup) white sugar
- 5.0 ounces (1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 4 ounces (1/2 liquid cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 7.7 ounces (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 3.3 ounces (3/4 cup) cake flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces (1/4 liquid cup) milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup good quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces (1 liquid cup) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
PEANUT BUTTER GLAZE
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 4-5 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar (icing sugar)
- 1-2 Tablespoons of milk
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (18 regular size, quartered)
- 2 ounces (1/4 liquid cup) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Place sugar, peanut butter, and oil in the bowl of a hand or stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until combined, then add eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined. Turn to low speed and add mashed bananas, mixing until combined.
- Sift together dry ingredients and mix half into banana mixture then add half of the milk, and repeat with remaining flour and milk. Gently mix or fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour batter into well greased and floured bundt pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the internal temperature of the cake reaches 205° - 210° F, or a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Remove pan from oven and cool cake in pan for 15 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, drizzle with chocolate ganache, peanut butter glaze, and marshmallow sauce.
- Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Place cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer (tiny bubbles around the edge of pan. (Don't let the cream come to a boil.) Pour hot cream over chocolate and let it sit until chocolate has softened, about 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until smooth. Let cool slightly before pouring or spreading over the cake.
PEANUT BUTTER GLAZE
- Combine the peanut butter and icing sugar. Add a few drops of milk at a time until the glaze reaches a thick but pour-able consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the chocolate ganache.
- Heat marshmallows and cream in top bowl of a double boiler, folding and stirring until marshmallows are almost melted.
- Add vanilla and continue cooking and stirring until completely melted and well blended with cream.
- Use while sauce is hot, as it will thicken as it cools.
This recipe was adapted from [Rock Recipes
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 718kcal Calories from fat 392|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 44g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!
Check out these other delicious rocky road bundt cake variations:
- Almond, Blueberry & White Chocolate by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Biscoff & Chocolate by Spice Roots
- Blueberry Pecan Cocoa Ripple Cake by Magnolia Days
- Brownie Style by Basic N Delicious
- Cheery Cherry by Our Good Life
- Cherry Chocolate Walnut Bundt by Noshing with the Nolands
- Chocolate Toffee by The Chef Next Door
- Chocolate Chip Bundt with Rocky Road Topping by Baking & Creating with Avril
- Culture Confusion by Food Lust People Love
- Fantasy Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
- Marshmallow Drenched by Making Miracles
- Mini Rocky Road Bundts with Marshmallow Frosting by Passion Kneaded
- Nutty Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Not Just For Ice Cream Rocky Road Bundt by Tea and Scones
- Rock n’ Roll Rocky Road Bundt by Living the Gourmet
- Rocky Road Fudge Bundt Cake by La Cocina De Aisha
- S’more Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
- Strawberry by Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Toasted Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake by Eat, Drink and Be Mighty
- Triple Chocolate by Simply Veggies
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.