This breakfast strata recipe has eggs, pork sausage, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions baked up with bread. It’s an easy breakfast casserole that’s perfect for a holiday brunch.
For most people, Christmas brings an opportunity to celebrate the act of giving with loved ones. Personally, I use the Christmas holiday to celebrate the birth of my Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ, but I also LOVE to make my celebration brighter by sharing wonderful food with my loved ones! That’s where this sausage and egg breakfast strata recipe comes into the picture!
What is a Strata?
Basically, strata is a baked egg casserole. It’s similar to quiche except that instead of the egg mixture being baked into a pie crust, breakfast strata recipes are made with day old bread. The bread soaks up the egg mixture to create a consistency that’s similar to bread pudding, but not quite as wet.
Don’t let the name fool you, either; breakfast strata recipes can definitely be made and served for brunch or dinner. My favorite time to make this breakfast strata recipe is for holiday brunches, especially on Christmas morning.
Christmas Menu Plan
Since the holiday meal at this house will be enjoyed only by Brian and myself, the menu selection isn’t quite as vast as it may be at your house. Nonetheless, we will savor the deliciousness of the following fare:
BRUNCH will be sausage and egg breakfast strata, topped with salsa and some fresh fruit salad. It’ll be a yummi meal for sure!
DINNER will be:
- roasted asparagus chowder
- salad with kumquat poppyseed vinaigrette dressing
- beef eye round roast
- fresh cranberry sauce
- my best sausage stuffing
- sweet potato casserole, and
- homemade biscuits
Dessert will be the cinnamon roll cookies that I baked last weekend.
Now, let’s bake up some of that breakfast strata!
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Strata Recipe
Breakfast Strata with Sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 10 slices day old French or sourdough bread sliced and buttered
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup canned sliced mushrooms drained
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green peppers
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 10 breakfast sausage links cut into 1/2 inch slices
- parsley, salt, pepper, and hot sauce, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the sausage, adding onion, peppers, and garlic after 2 or 3 minutes.
- Place bread, buttered side down, into the bottom of a 9.5 x 11 inch casserole dish, then place the sausage, onion, and garlic over the top. Add the mushrooms, then the cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half and seasonings. Pour over the top of the other ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (if you have time, soaking overnight is best)
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until eggs are set and cheese is melted and golden brown.