This stuffed mushroom recipe is one that you’ll go back to over and over. Crab Stuffed Mushroom Caps make fantastic cocktail party appetizers, game day food, or an easy snack any time.
FACT: I’m horrible with leftovers. Not horrible at creating leftovers, just horrible about using them before they become science experiments in the back of my fridge.
My mom emblazoned the “waste not want not” mantra into my head, so I save everything, you guys. Leftover food hoarding. It’s pathetic and a bit embarrassing, really.
I may also be a borderline hoarder of empty prescription bottles. Good gravy, I can’t just throw away perfectly good tiny plastic bottles! My mind believes that as soon as I place empty bottles into the recycling bin, I’ll find some way to re-purpose them. In the mean time, I have an entire junk drawer full of them.
Now where was I? Ahh yes…leftovers.
Remember the crab omelette I made a couple of days ago? Well, I had some of the crab meat left over, plus a few (6 to be exact) mushrooms that needed to be used up, so I thought I’d whip up something quick, easy, and delicious with them.
Cue the stuffed mushroom caps appetizer please.
How do you make crab stuffed mushroom caps?
This crab stuffed mushroom recipe makes the easiest Christmas cocktail party appetizers!
Unless you like peanut butter on toast as an appetizer. That may be easier to make, but it doesn’t taste nearly as good as these cheesy, crab-filled mushrooms. Pure bite-sized morsels of goodness.
Watch this quick video to see just how easy this stuffed mushroom recipe is to make!
More stuffed mushroom recipes to try:
- Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms from A Spicy Perspective
- Savory Herbed Stuffed Mushrooms from Will Cook for Smiles
How long do you cook stuffed mushroom caps?
Stuffed mushrooms don’t take very long to cook; about 15 minutes. Essentially, you just need to warm everything through to melt the cream cheese and toast up the panko bread crumbs.
More easy party appetizers
This Hot Crab Dip with Cream Cheese, from The Anthony Kitchen, also looks fantastic.
For even more cocktail party appetizer ideas, here are more recipes of mine, and from my blogging friends.
Note: The recipes of mine are in bold.
- Cheesy Spinach Egg Rolls
- Warm Cheesy Spinach Dip with Bacon (lower fat, low carb)
- Ham and Cheese Hot Spinach Dip
- Bacon Cheese Ball
- Chicken Parmesan Roll Ups
- Steak Fajita Sliders (low carb)
- Cranberry Fluff Cheesecake Bites
- Clams Casino Dip
- Baby Lamb Chops with Red and Green Sauces
- Easy Creamy Hot Artichoke Dip
- Herbed Goat Cheese Ball
- Cranberry Walnut Cinnamon Cream Cheese Dip (low carb)
- Jalapeno Popper Dip with Bacon
- Cheesy Bacon Jalapeno Bites
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Stuffed Jalapeno Bites
- Spicy Tomato and Pineapple Salsa
- Jalapeno Cheddar Pigs in a Blanket
- Ranch Roasted Nuts Snack Mix
- Mini Honey Roasted Almond Cheese Balls
- Olive Christmas Tree Appetizer
Crab Stuffed Mushroom Recipe Notes
Because this is a leftovers recipe, it only yields 6 stuffed mushrooms, that is 3 servings. Feel free to double or even triple the ingredients to make this appetizer for a crowd.
Give this stuffed mushroom recipe a try, then please come back to this post to leave a comment and rate the recipe. Not only does your feedback help me, it also helps other readers who want to try the recipe. Thanks in advance!
Oh, and if you have any ideas for ways to use empty prescription bottles, please leave those in the comments, too. 😉
Crab Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- 6 large white mushrooms, such as button or cremini
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons panko bread crumbs, traditional or gluten free breadcrumbs work too
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 ounces fresh or canned crab meat, drained and finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. (325 convection oven)
- Spray small casserole dish or sheet pan lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with damp paper toweling. Cut off stems, chop finely and set aside.
- Use your fingers to remove center from mushrooms to make room for stuffing. Place mushrooms caps cut side up in prepared dish; set aside.
- In small bowl, add cream cheese, crab meat, pepper, garlic salt and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in small saute pan over medium heat. Add chopped mushroom stems and scallion; saute until softened, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in bread crumbs. Add mushroom mixture to bowl with cream cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Use a small spoon to evenly distribute filling into each mushroom cap.
- Bake at 350 F. for 18-20 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and cream cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
This stuffed mushroom recipe was originally published on November 28, 2012. The photos and some of the content have since been updated. For historical purposes, here is one of the old photos, taken before I knew how to use a high quality DSLR camera. Oy.