Low carb meatloaf is one of the most popular low carb dinner recipes on It’s Yummi! Meal prep is quick and easy with this Low Carb Slow Cooker Meatloaf recipe, and your crock pot does all of the cooking!
The low carb meatloaf bursts with Italian flavor and is SO juicy and delicious! It’s definitely one of our favorite slow cooker recipes for a healthy comfort food dinner.
This low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe is honestly my favorite, though. I never would have thought crock pot meatloaf would taste better than oven baked meatloaf, but it does! The healthy hack of using zucchini to replace bread crumbs lowers the carbs and keeps the meat loaf moist.
Substitute for Bread Crumbs in Meatloaf
Using shredded zucchini as a substitute for bread crumbs in meatloaf eliminates several grams worth of carbs. Such a smart, healthy choice! Other substitutes for bread crumbs (these are not low carb options) include:
- Rolled oats – You can use traditional or [amazon_textlink asin=’B01FUI7GNK’ text=’gluten free rolled oats’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e8f38a66-9358-11e8-a5d5-75d92a2842cc’], but I don’t suggest using quick cooking oats, as they’ll get too mushy.
- Crushed corn flakes are another great gluten free option.
- Mashed potato flakes are great for adding structure to an otherwise loose meatloaf mixture, and I use them to thicken soup as well!
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B00DGDDHYO’ text=’Finely ground almond flour’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’9aedd3f4-9359-11e8-b3c5-cf955ff99fa6′] OR almond meal
Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe Tips:
- Use an aluminum foil sling to secure the meatloaf in place
For easy removal of the meatloaf from the pan, line the slow cooker with strips of aluminum foil. Weave several strips together, assuring that the meat has a nice bed to cradle into. Make sure the strips are long enough that they come up higher than the meatloaf
- Spray the foil with olive oil to prevent the meat loaf from sticking
NOTE: The zucchini in the meat loaf mixture makes it very loose compared to a traditional meatloaf mixture. Be careful when you’re transferring the uncooked mixture into the slow cooker so that it doesn’t fall apart before you have a chance to settle it in there.
When I saw how wet the mixture was, I was convinced that it would never come together into a nice loaf. But I was wrong! I cooked it on high power for 2 hours and 45 minutes and the loaf was perfectly firm.
After you make this low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe, please come back and rate the recipe!
Slow Cooker Low Carb Meatloaf Recipe
- Olive oil in a spritzer bottle, or olive oil cooking spray
- 2 pounds extra lean ground sirloin, or ground bison
- 2 large eggs
- 1 zucchini, grated and excess liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons minced dry onion, or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/4 cup no sugar added tomato sauce, or no sugar added ketchup
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or 2-3 slices
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Line a large (6 quart or larger) slow cooker with strips of aluminum foil. Spray the foil with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for cooking spray and the topping ingredients. Mixture WILL BE loose/wet. This is expected.
- Carefully transfer mixture into the slow cooker and form into an oblong shaped loaf, setting it on top of the aluminum foil strips. Place lid on top of slow cooker.
- Cook on high power for 3 hours or low power for 6 hours. 15 minutes before the end of the cook time, turn the heat off and unplug the slow cooker. Remove the lid and spread ketchup over the top of the meatloaf. Place cheese on top of ketchup and replace the lid onto the slow cooker. Allow the meat loaf to sit for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- To remove loaf from the slow cooker, remove lid, hold each end of the strips in each hand , and carefully lift. Transfer the loaf to serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve and enjoy!
More Easy Crock Pot Recipes to Try:
On the first of every month, a few of my food blogging friends and I share recipes with you. Each month has a different theme, and this month’s theme is Easy Crock Pot Recipes! Obviously, my low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe fits the theme, but here my friend’s crock pot recipes, and a few more of mine, too!
- Slow Cooker Weeknight Lasagna
- Chai Spiced Apple Butter (for Instant Pot or Slow Cooker) – This is fantastic served over pork chops!
- Shredded Pork Chile Verde
- BBQ Pulled Pork
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches
- Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken
- Crock Pot French Dips
- Pulled Chicken Recipe
- Chicken & Veggie Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Jambalaya
- Italian Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Tacos
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Pizza Soup Recipe
Clean Eating Dinner Recipes Cookbook
Disclosure: I received a free copy of the eBook from Olena, but this review is 100% from my heart and in my own words.
The low carb slow cooker meatloaf recipe comes from the e-cookbook, “30 Clean Quick Dinner Recipes“, written by Olena at iFoodReal. She graciously allowed me to share the recipe with you here, written (with her permission) in my own words (to avoid plagiarism).
I have a large collection of e-cookbooks. Some are well written, but most of them are mediocre at best. Poor photos (or none at all), grammatical errors, poor design, and/or just overpriced. Overall, a poor value for the investment I made.
Thankfully, that is not the case with this ebook. The photos in the book are gorgeous, and Olena’s recipes have complete nutritional information, including Weight Watchers Plus points; very impressive!
All 30 recipes in the book are in an easy-to-read layout, with regular, every day ingredients that you can easily find at a grocery store. I can honestly say that’s not always the case with healthy food recipes. I once found a whole/raw food recipe that called for a $14 bottle of some strange thickening agent that I couldn’t afford, let alone pronounce the name of. No thanks 🙂
I am in love with Olena’s low carb meatloaf recipe and I hope that you will love the low carb meatloaf, too!