This slow cooker pizza soup recipe is part of a sponsored post that’s been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
I really love my job as a recipe developer! Creating unique and creative pepperoni recipe ideas like this one helps to dial home that ordinary ingredients can become extraordinary meals, without much effort!
While stalking Pinterest for far too many hours one night, I found Pin after Pin of pepperoni pizza and Italian sub sandwich recipes. *yawn*
Don’t misunderstand… there’s nothing wrong with a #PepItUp pepperoni on my pizza, but for such a tasty little meat, I feel like it can be used in tastier ways. My friend Jen made a great recipe for pepperoni pizza dip that made me jump for joy, but in the end, this slow cooker pizza soup recipe won the “what should I make for dinner contest”.
Chef’s Notes – Slow Cooker Pizza Soup Recipe
I’ve been making a lot of slow cooker recipes lately, mainly because they’re such an easy and convenient way to put dinner together, but also because of how delicious foods are when they’re cooked low and slow. However, I realize that there are some of you out there who still haven’t splurged on one. I’ll recommend again that you treat yourself for the holidays and get one. They’re not a terribly expensive investment and so worth the money! This is the one I own and love.
Once you own a slow cooker, you can make everything from appetizers to meatloaf, and desserts to brunch treats like my slow cooker cinnamon roll casserole!
Speaking of yum… back to the pizza soup.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, this recipe can definitely be made on the stove top. You’ll just want to saute the veggies and sausage in a tablespoon or so of oil before adding the rest of the ingredients. Let it all simmer together for 15-20 minutes until the flavors come together and you’ll be good to eat!
Please use caution when cutting your bread bowl!
I used an artisan sourdough which had a very hard crust. If your knife isn’t sharp, it can be very dangerous. What worked best for me was to use the tip of a sharp knife to puncture through the outer shell and then use a serrated steak knife to cut the rest of the way through the bread.
You can see from the photo that after my first cut, my hole wasn’t very big. I ended up cutting a little more out to form a larger “bowl”. Another tip: Don’t throw away the bread that you’ll pull out when you’re hollowing out your bread bowl. Just dip it in a tiny bit of olive oil and Parmesan cheese and munch to your heart’s content, or dry it out for a couple of days and grind it up in a blender or food processor for homemade bread crumbs!
Now let’s make some soup!
Pizza Soup Recipe with Pepperoni and Sausage
This easy pizza soup recipe tastes just like a sausage and pepperoni pizza! It's easy to personalize to your tastes and is made easily in a crock pot or Instant Pot.
- 1/2 pound uncooked Italian sausage, in casings
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes, or crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups pasta sauce, (I use garlic and onion flavor)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups frozen onions and peppers blend, (I use fajitas blend)
- 4 ounces Hormel mini pepperoni , (reserve a few pieces to use as garnish
- 4 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place Italian sausage (still in the casings) in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients except Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Stir to combine all ingredients. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Use tongs to carefully remove Italian sausages from the slow cooker. Cut into bite sized pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese. Ladle hot soup into bread bowls or soup bowls and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni before serving.
I hope this slow cooker pizza soup recipe becomes one of your favorite go-to slow cooker meals. For more inspiration on using pepperoni in your recipes, stop by the Hormel Facebook page.