Jalapeno Chicken Beer Cheese soup is made right in your slow cooker, Instant Pot, multicooker, or Crock Pot. It’ll warm you up on the coldest of days! Jalapeno chicken beer cheese soup is an easy slow cooker recipe.
Good GRAVY, it’s cold outside! Most of the United States is being barraged with winter storms and frostbite-inducing wind chills, including my city of Appleton, Wisconsin. The high temperature today is forecasted at -12 F. To make things worse, our wind chills will be in the -53 F. range.
You KNOW the weather is wicked when even your local Wisconsin grocery store shuts down early. This is a screen shot from an email I received from my local Copps grocery store over the weekend:
Because of Saturday’s announcement, 5,000 of my neighbors and I all decided to stock up on essentials at the same time. Oh joy in the morning…or not.
Lesson learned: Be a smart shopper. But wait… I AM a smart shopper at Copps. I recently learned that they’re the SECOND store in my area to tag their products using the Health Key™ System. I first mentioned the system in my recipe post for Healthy Cranberry Blood Orange Spritzer.
Today’s easy slow cooker beer cheese soup recipe will stick to your ribs and tickle your tongue with a gentle, spicy bite from chopped jalapenos. My favorite part of the easy slow cooker recipe is that I don’t have to stand over my stove for hours to make it.
I popped the ingredients into my slow cooker before I left for work in the morning. When I got home in the afternoon, the apartment smelled amazing! I think the low-fat aged white cheddar that I splurged on from the deli truly makes the recipe shine.
Lots of cheese soup recipes call for a traditional yellow cheddar. Don’t get me wrong…I love it like my fleece jammies, but it’s loaded with fat and calories. Besides, there’s something about the smooth aftertaste from a properly aged white cheddar that makes my Wisconsin heart sing!
Another favorite ingredient for preparing quick, easy, and healthy dinners are frozen, precooked grilled chicken tenders. Because the chicken is already cooked, just pop it into the microwave for 2 minutes and stir it into the soup about 10 minutes before serving. The precooked chicken tenders are also in my chicken enchiladas skillet recipe.
A note about the ingredients in this easy slow cooker recipe:
Because I’m still trying to shed another 25 pounds, this recipe uses some products that are lower in fat and calories, including the beer. My stomach can’t handle as much spicy heat as it used to, so I only used 1/4 jar of jalapenos. If you like spicier food, you’re more than welcome to add as many as your heartburn will allow!
If you don’t need to watch your weight, or you’re willing to splurge on a couple hundred extra calories, I say go all out and use full fat ingredients and fully enjoy this soup for what it is…. comfort food in a bowl. Oh, and don’t forget to pick up a loaf of bread with a nice hearty crust. I did splurge on those carb loaded calories. How could I say no to soup dunking?!
I hope you enjoy this easy slow cooker beer cheese soup recipe!
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Beer Cheese Soup
- 12 ounces light beer (or sub your favorite beer)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups skim or 1% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, cornstarch, or arrowroot
- 1 cup carrots, medium diced (I used 10 organic baby carrots)
- 1 large yellow or white onion, medium diced
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped (more/less can be used to your taste preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 12-16 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- Green onion (scallions), sliced crosswise, for garnish
- 8 ounces low fat aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, add cold milk and flour or other thickening agent; Whisk to combine and pour contents into a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add all additional ingredients, EXCEPT for the cooked chicken and scallions. Whisk to combine.
- Turn on slow cooker and cook soup on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- minutes before you're ready to serve, add the cooked chicken pieces. After 20 minutes, ladle into bowls and garnish with scallions. Serve with a loaf of sourdough or other hearty crusted bread. Would also be fantastic served in bread bowls!