With strawberries and cream crepes on the table, you’ll feel like you’ve been whisked away for a romantic meal. A great brunch for mom on Mother’s Day or for your loved ones on Valentine’s Day!
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know that today is Valentine’s Day. A day meant for letting the people in your life know how very much you love and appreciate them. Have I told you lately that I love you?! I REALLY do!
When I want to show my special someone how much I care for him, I tend to do it with an abundance of mushy hugs and kisses, topped off with a wonderful meal, like these strawberries and cream crepes! After all, it’s been said that food is the best way to win a man’s heart! Who am I to argue with good reason?
This recipe is a great way for me to shoot an arrow of love straight into my man’s heart, and these strawberries and cream crepes also happen to be filled with the colors of Valentine’s Day. Hoe much more perfect can a romantic meal get?
If you’re looking for a gorgeous, decadent treat, on Valentine’s day or ANY day, give these crepes a try. Then sit back and watch the arrows of love fly!
For the crêpes:
- 1 cup (4.4 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup (8 oz.) half-and-half cream
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Unsalted butter, for cooking
For the filling
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1.5 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced thinly
For the topping
- 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced thinly
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Making the crêpes
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. In a measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half and melted butter until blended. Gradually whisk into flour mixture until very smooth.
- Cover and let stand for 30 min or refrigerate for up to 1 day. (Bring to room temperature before cooking.) The batter should be the texture of thin cream. Gradually whisk in up to 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) water to thin as necessary.
- Heat an 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick skillet or crêpe pan over medium heat until a drop of batter sizzles when dropped in the pan. Wipe out the pan and brush lightly with butter.
- Pour in a scant 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the batter, swirling the pan while pouring to spread as thinly and evenly as possible. Cook for about 30 seconds or until top is no longer shiny and bottom is just golden. Use a heatproof rubber spatula to loosen edges and flip the crêpe over. Cook the second side for about 15 seconds or until golden spots start to form.
- Slide the cooked crêpe out onto a parchment paper lined plate. Repeat with remaining crêpe batter, heating and buttering pan between each as necessary.
Making the filling and topping
- Place cream cheese into a food processor or medium sized bowl.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and 1.5 cups of strawberries, reserving 1/2 cup for the topping. Mix until the filling is well blended and smooth.
- Combine 1/2 cup of strawberries, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/8 cup of cream into a small sauce pan over medium heat. Simmer and stir occasionally until the mixture has reduced and thickened. Place into the refrigerator to cool.
Assembling the crêpes
- Spoon the filling into a 12-inch pastry bag fitted with the tip of your choice.
- Starting about 1/3 of the way into the crepe, pipe the filling from one end of the crepe to the other.
- Starting with the edge closest to you, fold the crepe over the filling and continue rolling the crepe up all the way.
- Place two crepes onto each serving plate and spoon some of the topping over each one, or dust with powdered sugar.