Cookie dough ice cream bursting with fresh strawberries makes the perfect summer treat! The delicious cookie dough has NO EGGS, so the homemade ice cream is perfectly safe to enjoy! Come on into the virtual kitchen and I’ll show you how easy this cookie dough ice cream recipe is to make!
This week’s recipe offers the perfect solution for cooling down on a hot day… Strawberry Cookie Dough Ice Cream!
If you’ve ever made a batch of homemade ice cream, you’re already one of the fortunate souls to savor one of the loveliest frozen treats available for your taste buds. REAL homemade ice cream starts by making a base of custard (very similar to how homemade pudding is made). Custard is made with ingredients that, while certainly not healthy, are altogether yummi. Isn’t that usually the case, though? Seems as though some of the best things to cross my taste buds are bundled with butter, sugar, heavy cream…. or all of the above! I suppose that’s why my weekly mantra is all good things in moderation.
Is There Raw Cookie Dough in Ice Cream?
Yes, this strawberry cookie dough ice cream recipe does have raw cookie dough in it. However, the raw cookie dough has no eggs in it. Those of you who know that I attended culinary school may also know that, due to the risk of Salmonella, I avoid using raw eggs in my recipes whenever possible. When I absolutely need to use raw eggs in a recipe, I make sure to use pasteurized eggs.
Can the Raw Cookie Dough Be Baked?
Technically, you can bake the raw cookie dough that’s used in this recipe, but because there are no eggs in it, the cookies will be very crispy. If you plan to bake the cookie dough, I suggest scooping the dough into Tablespoon sized balls onto a cookie sheet that is lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this strawberry cookie dough ice cream recipe!It's not summer until you've had a scoop of HOMEMADE Strawberry Cookie Dough Ice Cream!Click To Tweet
Recipes BEYOND Strawberry Cookie Dough Ice Cream
If you want to make other delicious homemade ice cream recipes, you’re in the right place! Some of my blogging friends and I have joined forces to bring you our favorite easy ice cream recipes. No churn ice cream recipes, egg free ice cream, and more!
You will see the links to all of the recipes below, right beneath my strawberry cookie dough ice cream recipe. With those recipes in your back pocket, you’ll have plenty of ice cream recipes to make this summer!
This strawberry cookie dough recipe is shared with permission from the author and publisher of the book, , by Joy Wilson.
Strawberry Cookie Dough Ice Cream (with no-egg cookie dough)
Creamy homemade vanilla ice cream, loaded with chunks of chocolate chip cookie dough and strawberries. The edible cookie dough is made without eggs, so it's safe to eat!
For the Cookie Dough
- 5 ounces all purpose flour, (1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter,, softened (1/2 cup)
- 3.5 ounces light brown sugar, (1/2 cup packed)
- 2.4 ounces granulated sugar, (1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the Ice Cream
- 5 ounces granulated sugar, (3/4 cup)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces whole milk, (2 liquid cups)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces heavy cream, (1 liquid cup)
- 1 cup whole frozen strawberries, partially thawed
To Make the Cookie Dough:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in the vanilla and milk. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture. Blend until mixture almost comes together but flour is still visible. Turn off the mixer and remove the bowl from the stand. Add chocolate chips and finish blending the mixture with a spatula.
- Spoon the dough onto a sheet of a plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a log shape and refrigerate while you prepare the ice cream.
To Make the Ice Cream:
- Whisk together sugar, egg yolks, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk until thick and pale. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm milk and honey until small bubbles appear around the outside surface of the pan (milk will be almost boiling).
- Gradually pour the warm milk into the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream, whisking constantly to avoid the eggs from cooking. Return the milk and egg mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring and scraping along the bottom of the pan often with a heat proof spatula.
- Cook until the mixture is thickened and the custard holds to the back of a spoon without dripping off. This usually takes about 8 minutes. You'll be able to smell the eggs coking just as the custard is finished cooking.
- Pour the mixture over a fine-mesh strainer into a medium bowl. This will ensure that no cooked egg bits get into the custard. Stir in the vanilla, and cream. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the surface of the custard and refrigerate for 4-24 hours to chill before churning.
- While the custard cools, roll chilled cookie dough into 50 small marble-sized balls. Place on a small cookie sheet and store in the freezer until ready to incorporate into the ice cream. Coarsely chop the strawberries, place in a bowl, and store in the refrigerator.
- When ice cream custard has completely chilled, churn according to ice cream maker instructions. Once the ice cream is almost completely churned, add the strawberries to the ice cream. Churn until well incorporated and pale pink. Transfer ice cream to a freezer-friendly container, fold in the cookie dough balls, and freeze until ice cream is solid before serving it.
- Ice cream will last for up to 5 days in the freezer if it's well covered.
- This recipe is shared with permission from the author and publisher of the cookbook, "100 Simple and Comforting Recipes", by Joy Wilson
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes to Try:
- Kiwano-Orange Egg Free Ice Cream
- Caramel Swirl Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Caramel Oreo Fudge Ripple Ice Cream
- No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
- No Churn Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Birthday Cake No Churn Ice Cream
- Heavenly Hash Frozen Yogurt
- Chocolate Malted Crunch Ice Cream
- Bacon Bourbon Peach Ice Cream
- No-Churn Mermaid Ice Cream
- Mini Ice Cream Pops
- Dragon Fruit Ice Cream
- Grilled Sweet Corn and Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
This strawberry cookie dough ice cream recipe post was originally published on June 3, 2012. The recipe was updated to include nutritional information and there are new photos too. (Thank goodness, because the old images were taken with a less than stellar camera.) 🙂