This warm potato salad recipe is perfect for a picnic! Why have potato chips when you can feast on warm, herb covered potatoes married with a creamy dressing?! Meet my Warm Potato Salad with Fresh Tarragon!
I made you some potato salad. Oh, but it’s not just any potato salad. This warm potato salad belongs in the potato side dish hall of fame, you guys!
One of my good friends, Chef Chris Hill, is the culinary genius behind this recipe. I love potato salad, but typically, I prefer cool, Southern style mustard potato salad to a warm potato salad. However, this recipe is making me reconsider that. The fresh tarragon marries with the creamy dressing and coats the warm potatoes perfectly. It’s a side dish that can be eaten cold, of course, but I think the warm version will be making repeat performances at my dinner table all summer long!
Warm Potato Salad Recipe Notes
- When you make the potato salad, be sure to use small, thin skinned potatoes like baby reds or creamer potatoes. Thick skinned baking potatoes are too starchy. They’ll make your potato salad gummy and sticky. Ugh, nobody wants that.
- Be careful not to over cook your potatoes. You want them to have some give, but not so much that they fall apart when you work with them. I usually take a fork and pierce it into the flesh of the potato every few minutes until it goes in with just a little bit of pressure. So, al dente potatoes is what you’re going for.
- If you happen to over cook the potatoes, don’t worry about it too much. Either slip them into the bowl and make smashed potato salad, or boil some more and use the over cooked ones to make potato pancakes or mashed potato soup.
I hope you enjoy this potato salad recipe.
Warm Potato Salad with Tarragon
- 10 small red skinned potatoes washed & diced
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 1/3 cup scallions finely chopped
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil grapeseed oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Add diced potatoes to the water and boil until they can be pierced with a fork, about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk to incorporate.
- Remove potatoes from water and drain well; place potatoes back into the warm pot briefly, to extract excess moisture.
- Add potatoes to dressing and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate to chill for serving later.
If you loved this potato salad recipe, you might want to check out some of my other potato recipes!