What’s a picnic without a potato salad recipe being made for the occasion? Well, I supposed it’s technically still a picnic, but why have potato chips when you can feast on warm, herb covered potatoes married with a creamy dressing?! Meet my Tarragon Potato Salad Recipe!
I made you some potato salad. Oh, but it’s not just any potato salad. This stuff belongs in the summer salad hall of fame, you guys!
One of my good friends, Chef Chris Hill, is the culinary genius behind this recipe. I love potato salad, but typically, I prefer cool salads to warm ones. However, this recipe changed all of that for me. The fresh tarragon marries with the creamy dressing and coats the warm potatoes perfectly. It’s a salad that can be eaten cold, of course, but I think the warm version will be making repeat performances at my dinner table all summer long!
One thing to remember when you’re making potato salad is to use small, thin skinned potatoes like baby reds or creamer potatoes. Thick skinned baking potatoes are too starchy. They’ll make your potato salad gummy and sticky. Ugh, nobody wants that.
Another tip: Be careful not to over cook your potatoes. You want them to have some give, but not so much that they fall apart when you work with them. I usually take a fork and pierce it into the flesh of the potato every few minutes until it goes in with just a little bit of pressure. So, al dente potatoes is what you’re going for.
If you happen to over cook the potatoes, don’t worry about it too much. Either slip them into the bowl and make smashed potato salad, or use them to make potato pancakes or something and boil some new ones for the potato salad. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this potato salad recipe.
Tarragon Potato Salad
Warm baby red potatoes are covered in a creamy dressing and fresh tarragon to make a delightful warm side dish for your summer dining table!
- 10 small red skinned potatoes, washed & diced
- 1/2 cup tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Add diced potatoes to the water and boil until they can be pierced with a fork, about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk to incorporate.
- Remove potatoes from water and drain well; place potatoes back into the warm pot briefly, to extract excess moisture.
- Add potatoes to dressing and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate to chill for serving later.
If you loved this potato salad recipe, you might want to check out some of my other potato recipes!