Today is eat vegetarian day. In my bacon filled world, that’s not great news, but it does hold importance for many of you. Therefore, I shall be happy. Truthfully, EXTRA happy….because it’s also national CHOCOLATE day! Hip hip hooray!
When a non-vegetarian chooses to put down the bacon and step away slowly, it’s important to realize that you will still have something very yummilicious to indulge in. Behold, my vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe!
For those that don’t know, vegans are those who have a diet free from any and all animal products, including dairy products that come from animals. Hence, I am delighted to report that no eggs were harmed in the baking of these cookies!
Truthfully, I had to force myself to bake these. I really REALLY wanted to use enough butter that Paula Deen would pronounce me her best friend forever. I also just couldn’t imagine a cookie without the tenderizing effect that the eggs would bring. However, I know that there are health benefits of flax, so I decided to give these a whirl in the name of fiber-y good health. I have to be honest… they’re crispier than a traditional chocolate chip cookie, but they are VERY tasty!
Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Adapted from Oh She Glows|http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/08/vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies/
- 1/3 Cup Earth Balance + 1 Tablespoon olive oil (or 1/2 cup Earth Balance- see note)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 Cup cane sugar (or use white)
- 1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. In a small bowl, make the flax egg and set aside.
- With an electric mixer or in a stand mixer, beat the Earth Balance until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and cane sugar and beat for 1-2 minutes until creamy. Beat in the flax egg.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients just until combined and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Shape balls of dough and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack for another 10 minutes.
- For a crispier cookie edge, use 1/3 Cup Earth Balance and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Alternatively, for a softer cookie, use 1/2 cup Earth Balance and no oil.
- For information on Earth Balance products: http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/products/
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 18kcal Calories from fat 7|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!