Vegan chocolate raspberry cakes are moist, chocolaty single serving cakes, made with a secret ingredient to make them so delicious!
I’m a sucker for summer foods. The fact that northeastern Wisconsin winters last nearly 7 months has a strong bearing on why I get all weak in the knees at the first signs of spring. The smell of the lilacs (my favorite!) tells me that warmer weather, fresh asparagus recipes and picnic season are right around the corner.
My favorite picnic foods include flavors of summer like fresh asparagus, roasted corn on the cob, potato salad, grilled brats and sausages, and of course, desserts made with freshly picked berries. That’s where this recipe for vegan chocolate raspberry cake with avocado comes perfectly into the picture.
Wait. Avocado? Excuse me?!
At this point, I bet some of you are scratching your head in disbelief at the title of this dessert. Yes, it’s true. There are avocados in these chocolate-loaded, delightfully moist, berry filled
mini cakes jumbo cupcakes!
Why is there avocado in my chocolate cakes?
Because substituting avocado for saturated fats like butter and oil helps to keep the calories and cholesterol lower than you’d find in the average chocolate cupcake. Besides, avocados lean toward the healthy side as far as fats are concerned…when consumed in moderation, of course.
Also, using avocados instead of butter allows this chocolate raspberry cakes recipe to be edible for vegans.
The stoneware pan that I baked the cakes in is from Pampered Chef. The wells are just a little bit bigger than a jumbo muffin pan. You can also bake this up as an 8-inch or 9-inch layer cake and frost the top with chocolate ganache. Yummi!
Please let me know if you make these vegan chocolate raspberry cakes!
Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Avocado Cakes
This chocolate raspberry cupcake stays extra moist from avocados. Tangy raspberries blend in perfectly for a perfect combo. A great Valentine's Day treat!
- 3 cups low-carb baking mix* or all-purpose flour, plus 1/8 cup to toss berries into
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 medium avocado, to make 1/2 cup mashed
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen red raspberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour the wells of a jumbo muffin pan OR two 8-inch OR two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients except sugar. Set aside.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in a large bowl, including the mashed avocado. Add sugar into the wet mix and stir to combine.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry all at once, and beat with a whisk (by hand) until smooth.
- Toss berries into 1/8 cup baking mix or flour and stir into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
Before you run off to bake up this delicious cake recipe, please check these wonderful blogs that are also posting summer recipes this week as we lead up to the 4th of July. These ladies have such beautiful food to share!
- Watermelon Agua Fresca, from KokoCooks
- Italian Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pizza from White Lights On Wednesday
- Dill, Chicken, and Lettuce Mango Wrap from Sweet Remedy