Creamy Seafood Chowder
Flavorful and easy to make, this seafood chowder has a base of homemeade seafood stock. It is packed with potatoes, shrimp, crab meat, and chopped lobster meat
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small carrots diced small
- 1 large large onion diced small (white or yellow)
- 1 stalk celery diced medium
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 32 ounces seafood stock (1 quart) - homemade stock recipe below)
- 1 large russet potato diced medium
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup half and half or whole milk
- 8 ounces cooked mixed seafood of your choice (I used medium shrimp, chopped lobster tail, and crab meat)
For Homemade Seafood Stock
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- shells from 1 pound of fresh seafood (I used lobster, shrimp, and crab shells)
- 2 large onions chopped (peeled or unpeeled, your choice)
- 2 large carrots unpeeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or water or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme with the stems
To Make the Seafood Stock
Warm oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
Add the seafood shells, onions, carrots, and celery and saute for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Add 1 1/2 quarts of water, wine, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain stock through a sieve, pressing the solids.You should have approximately 1 quart of stock. You can make up the difference with water or wine if you need to.
To Make the Chowder
Add olive oil to a 3 quart or larger soup pot over medium heat. When oil begins to shimmer, stir in carrot, onion, and celery, and saute until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute, stirring constantly so that garlic doesn't burn.
Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. They will appear pasty. Turn heat up to medium high and slowly whisk in seafood stock, about 1/4 cup at a time, until all stock has been incorporated.
Turn heat to high and bring to a light boil. Add potatoes and all seasonings and reduce heat slightly. Cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender.
In the final 3 minutes of cooking time, stir in cooked seafood and half and half or milk. Taste and add additional seasonings as desired.
Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy!
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 1268mg | Potassium: 811mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4355IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 149mg | Iron: 1.6mg