Easy Scones Recipe with Pears and Cranberries (Low Carb, Vegan Friendly)
This easy scones recipe makes low carb cranberry-pear scones that pair perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea. By using vegan butter, the scones are also vegan.
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
Servings 12 scones
For the Scones:
- 3 cups Low carb baking mix plus more for dusting work surface (I use Bob's Red Mill).
- 1/4 cup Erythritol or other cup-for-cup sugar alternative
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter grated or cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 oranges freshly squeezed (1/4 cup juice)
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries I use Ocean Spray low sugar
- 1 cup pears peeled and diced
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered Erythritol I use Swerve
- 3 Tablespoons orange juice more if needed to thin the glaze
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Into a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and butter. Use a pastry cutter, fork, or your fingers to combine the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Create a well in the center of the ingredients.
In another mixing bowl, whisk together almond milk, orange juice, zest, and vanilla extract. Pour mixture into the well you created in the dry ingredients. Add cranberries and pears and use a wooden spoon or rubber mixing spatula to stir, just until flour is incorporated and mixture is combined. Don't over mix or your scones will be tough and dry.
Sprinkle a dry work surface with some dry baking mix and turn dough out onto the top of it. Flatten dough with your fingers into a rectangle, with a thickness of 3/4 inch. Use a knife to cut scones into equal sized pieces. Use a spatula to transfer scones to prepared baking sheets.
Place baking sheets into oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until scones are set and golden brown. Meanwhile, use a spoon or whisk to combine glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
After scones have finished baking, transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before drizzling tops with glaze.
Best served warm and on the day they were baked.
- To make this easy scones recipe vegan friendly, substitute vegan butter for the dairy butter called for in the recipe.
Serving: 1scone | Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 654mg | Potassium: 162mg | Fiber: 27g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 755IU | Vitamin C: 19.8mg | Calcium: 254mg | Iron: 1.5mg