1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, sift together cake flour and 1/4 cup superfine sugar.
3. In a large bowl, beat room-temperature egg whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar and salt. Gradually add in the remaining 1/2 cup of superfine sugar while the mixer is on high speed, beating the egg whites to soft peaks. With a rubber spatula add in the lemon extract and lime zest. Do this very gently to prevent losing the volume in your meringue.
4. Gently fold in the flour mixture, adding it in two or three additions.
5. Divide evenly into prepared muffin tins. Fill them almost to the top.
6. Use an offset spatula or your fingertips to gently flatten the top of the batter.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown. The tops will spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Top with lemon glaze, fresh whipped cream and fresh fruit with powdered sugar.