Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
This soup is smooth and creamy and perfect for warming you up, even on the coldest of days. It cooks up in 15 minutes, making it one of the easiest weeknight dinners you can make!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 56 ounces canned crushed tomatoes (2 cans, 28 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 14 1/2 ounces canned stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar* optional (see notes)
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 1 cup heavy cream
Process the crushed tomatoes in a blender or food processor, one can at a time, until smooth. Set aside.
Add crushed tomatoes and vegetable stock to a 6 quart or larger saucepan. Whisk to combine, then bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in the same blender or food processor you used before, add the stewed tomatoes and cream cheese. Cover and process until smooth.
Gradually stir the cream cheese mixture, oregano, basil, garlic and sugar into the pan with the tomatoes and stock.
Place half and half and cream into a large, heat proof bowl. Temper the half and half and whipping cream by slowly whisking about a cup of the hot tomato mixture into the cold mixture (this will prevent the cream from curdling). Whisk the tempered mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the soup and let it warm through for a couple of minutes, but don't let it boil.
Garnish with a grilled cheese sandwich (remove the crust prior to grilling, if desired) that has been cut into small, crouton-sized squares, and sprinkle with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Adding sugar to this soup is optional. I find that it helps to cut the acidity that canned tomatoes usually have.
- Nutritional information is for 1 cup of soup, without grilled cheese croutons
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 621mg | Potassium: 775mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 22.8mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 3.6mg