What could be better on a chilly night than this corn dog casserole? It’s a warm bowl of chili covered in cheese combined with miniature corn dogs. It’s true love at first bite, and I partnered with Collective Bias and their client to bring you this delicious recipe.
I can’t believe it, gang… December is whooshing away before my eyes like a speeding locomotive. I’m almost afraid to blink or I could miss out on some of the really fun stuff…like holiday parties and Jesus’ birthday!
I mentioned last week that I love attending parties, and I’m always at the ready with my offer to bring a great appetizer, quick snack, or casserole with me. I like to help take some of the work load off of the host if he/she is up for it. Because I’m working three part-time jobs right now, I’m what you might label “crazy busy”, so convenience products that I can heat and eat have become staples around my kitchen.
I picked up a box of Country Ribbon mini corn dogs on my last shopping trip to my favorite big box warehouse, Sam’s Club. I’m crazy for corn dogs, and these minis were perfect for the quick and easy corn dog casserole recipe that I’m sharing with you today.
I’m so flipping excited about sharing this recipe with you. Mostly because it’s SO delicious, and easily adapted to suit individual taste preferences. Seriously…do you know how many different toppings can be used on a chili cheese dog? Personally, I think yellow mustard is a required topping, but Brian doesn’t care for it, so I squirted a little into the chili to give it a mustard flavor without the visual #InsiderWifeTrick. He loves raw onions and I really only enjoy them if they’re caramelized, so I met him half way and used scallions to top our casserole with. They have a lot less bite and more sweetness to them. He also loves sour cream on his chili dogs…*shudder*. I couldn’t even bring myself to take a photo of that topping on this casserole. THIS is what it looked like before I popped it into the oven.
I think mini corn dogs are adorable, but I simply HAD to cover them up with a little more cheese…and bacon. #DontJudgeMe
Another way to make this recipe your own is by using your favorite chili recipe, OR if you’re in a hurry to make it, you can use ready-to-eat convenience chili, making this casserole about 25 minutes from prep to table. Awesome, am I right?
Once you’ve purchased these bites of yumminess, you might want or need some recipe inspiration. No worries…we’ve got you covered. There’s a Pinterest board with corn dog goodness all over it!
I really hope you’ll try this recipe. It’s just too delicious to miss out on. Oh, and I happen to think it made the perfect GAME DAY food when Brian and I were watching the our favorite green and gold team play last week. No, I really don’t want to talk about the final score. Can we please just say “Get well soon, Aaron”?
Now let’s focus on how delicious this corn dog casserole is instead!
- 5 cups prepared chili (homemade or store bought), with or without beans
- 1 cup frozen corn niblets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (I used French's)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less according to your taste preference)
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar or colby cheese (or a combination of the two)
- 36 mini or 8 full size corn dogs (I used Country Ribbon)
- Your favorite chili dog toppings
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To prepared chili, add salt, yellow mustard, chili powder, and corn niblets. Stir to combine.
- Spread chili evenly into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with half of the shredded cheese. Layer corn dogs evenly across the top of the chili and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese has melted and chili is bubbling. Remove from oven and serve in bowls with your favorite chili dog toppings.