Halloween stuffed peppers are one of my favorite healthy Halloween main dishes, and I bet that your Halloween will be more fun serving these stuffed bell peppers, too! You can’t go wrong with Italian flavored beef, mushrooms, onions, and rice are all stuffed inside these perfectly festive peppers.
This healthy, easy Halloween food features orange bell peppers stuffed with a comfort food mixture of lean ground beef, rice, veggies, and homemade roasted bell pepper sauce. This is a kid-friendly meal that’s fun and festive!
I am a major lover of recipes for stuffed peppers. Well actually, sweet bell peppers in general. Red, yellow, orange, and green… they all bring fabulous flavor and color to meals and it’s the perfect way to sneak extra veggies into the diet. It’s actually one of the reasons we love our Slow Cooker Jambalaya so much – hide those peppers into dinner!
Well these stuffed peppers aren’t necessarily hiding peppers but it’s a fun way to get those veggies into those picky eaters diets.
So who’s ready to make some adorably cute Halloween eats?
These healthy Halloween stuffed peppers have a delicious roasted red bell pepper sauce that takes them a notch above ordinary stuffed pepper recipes.
Stuffed Peppers Jack O Lanterns are one of my favorite Halloween main dishes, and I bet they’ll be one of yours, too!
How these stuffed peppers can fit into speciality diet needs
Another reason I love stuffed pepper dinners is that they can be made low carb SO EASILY. Pretty much more reasons we love peppers. But here is how they can be adapted to fit other special diets.
- Low Carb – Simply swap the rice out with cauliflower rice! Seriously such an easy swap. You can buy pre-riced cauliflower in your local freezer section. We’ve been using those lately for convenience. They aren’t the more economical vs. making your own cauliflower riced but thats were we’ve splurged for easy life.
- Gluten-Free – These are actually already naturally gluten-free! Woot! No need to do anything extra with as this stuffed peppers recipe are naturally gluten-free!
- Healthier / WW – If you’d like to swap out the ground beef for another meat alternative like chicken or turkey that would be perfect for the weight watchers program.
- Vegetarian / Vegan – Another really simple swap to making these halloween stuffed peppers vegetarian and vegan would be to swap the meat out with a vegetarian replacement. You can find plenty of options in the store or you can always quickly make your own like this Homemade Vegetarian Meat Replacement by VeggieBalance
Halloween Stuffed Peppers Recipe Notes
Here are a few ways to get creative with this stuffed peppers recipe:
- Use traditional pasta sauce instead of the red pepper pasta sauce.
- Need an even healthier dinner? Substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef.
- Fill the Halloween stuffed peppers jack-o-lanterns with any casserole filling that your family likes.
This Halloween stuffed peppers recipe is really easy to make. The only tricky part might be the carving of the peppers.
How to carve out these Jack O Lantern Peppers
This is not the step I’d recommend having your children help with. It does require a little work.
To make carving easier, I use an extra small vegetable carving knife. If your peppers won’t stand up well on their own, you can use the carving knife to shave off a small amount a pepper from the bottom. Just don’t cut too much off or you’ll cut a hole in the bottom, causing the stuffing to fall out.
Can these be made ahead of time?
Yes! We found that these can easily be made ahead of time AND they reheat very well too.
If you’d like to prep the peppers and then prepare the stuffing and stuff the peppers 24 hours in advance for the night before that will work! Simply pop in the oven the day of and dinner is served.
If for any reason you have leftovers simple store in an airtight container and either reheat in the oven or microwave. Really that easy peasy stuffed pepper cheesy.
More Halloween Main Dishes
In addition to my Halloween stuffed peppers Jack O Lanterns, here are more Halloween main dishes to try:
Healthy Halloween Stuffed Peppers Jack-O-Lanterns
- 4 large orange bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked rice white or brown
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or other healthy cooking oil, plus additional for coating sheet pan.
- 1 pound lean ground beef ground turkey, or ground chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion diced small
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups roasted red pepper sauce homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the top off each bell pepper horizontally. Set tops aside (do not discard) Remove all seeds and membranes. Rinse and pat the peppers dry with paper toweling or a clean, soft cloth. Use a small paring knife to cut holes into the exterior of the peppers to make jack-o-lantern faces. Note: If peppers don't stand upright, use the knife to slice a small amount from the bottom to flatten the surface.
- Cook rice according to package directions. As rice cooks, use olive oil or non-stick spray to lightly grease a small sheet pan. Arrange peppers and tops of peppers on pan and cook in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until peppers are cooked, but still are still firm (al dente). Remove peppers from oven and allow to cool while you make the filling.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms have softened and reduced in size. Increase heat to medium high. Add ground meat and spices to pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until no pink remains.
- Drain excess grease from pan, reduce heat to medium low, then add red pepper pasta sauce and cooked rice. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until mixture is heated through.
- Prior to serving, fill each pepper with approximately 1 cup of mixture, over filling each pepper slightly. Place a top onto each stuffed pepper and serve with a big jack-o-lantern smile!
More Bell Pepper Recipes
Here are more delicious recipes to make with bell peppers: