This strawberry banana cupcake recipe is a quick, easy, “semi-homemade” treat. It starts with a boxed cake mix to keep things simple, but it’s jazzed up with some extra ingredients to make it extra moist and flavorful. If you’d like to make cupcakes from scratch, check out these cupcake recipe ideas.
Although I’m typically the type of baker who likes to bake from scratch, there are days, weeks, and even entire months where I’m so crazy busy that I need all of the cooking shortcuts that I can get my hands on. This has been one of those weeks for me, which is why I’m excited to be sharing a super quick and easy cupcake recipe with you.
I’ve always loved the flavor combo of strawberry & banana, and it seems to be a kid favorite, too, so that’s what I’ll be sharing with you today.
When you check out the cupcake recipe below, don’t let the box mix fool you into thinking that these cupcakes will be lacking in flavor. I’ve made some changes and additions to assure that when you serve these to your family and guests, they’ll have a tough time believing that they weren’t made from scratch!
Please let me know if you try this cupcake recipe!
Oh, and if you want to make more cupcakes, I’ve got a huge collection of cupcake recipe ideas.
My current favorite is this blackberry lime cupcake recipe.
Now let’s go a little bananas… and strawberry, too!
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 box white cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist)
- 10 ounces water
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8-10 fresh strawberries, diced
FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk (more if needed)
FOR THE CAKE
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 for dark or non-stick pans). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil, and bananas, yogurt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as necessary. Batter may be lumpy.
- Add diced strawberries and stir to combine. Fill paper liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 20-23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. While cupcakes cool, make the frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl at medium speed until smooth and combined. Add mashed banana and vanilla extract and mix for 1 minute.
- Turn mixer to low speed and gradually add powdered sugar. Once sugar is incorporated, add milk as needed until desired consistency is achieved. To make frosting thicker, add more powdered sugar. To make it thinner, add milk.
- Frost and garnish as desired.