Broccoli bacon beer cheese soup is the perfect Fall comfort food. Creamy beer cheese soup with smoky bacon and broccoli florets for color, flavor, and health benefits.
It’s autumn in Wisconsin and I’m over the moon about it! I wait through the humid heat of summer for the beautiful color change on the leaves of the trees. There’s a crisp chill in the air, requiring the addition of an adorable, comfy sweater and scarf around my neck.
Oh, and football. I adore football season! Watching it, not playing it. Or more specifically, I adore watching this kind of football:
That being said, I think that my favorite thing about autumn is bringing warm, comforting soup recipes to our table. Like broccoli bacon beer cheese soup:
What’s my favorite part of this broccoli bacon beer cheese soup?
EVERY. LITTLE. THING.
I used the most incredible blend of Kerrygold cheeses. A full pound of it! The ratio of 10 ounces of Red Leicester (like an aged sharp cheddar) with 6 ounces of Dubliner (it has elements of mature cheddar with sweet nutty tones of a Swiss and Parmesan) was sort of a brilliant decision.
Using beer instead of chicken stock in the soup adds loads of extra flavor. As for the bacon… does anyone who knows me really need an explanation of why I included bacon? My undying devotion to pork products is shameless..
But Becca, why did you put vegetables into your beer cheese soup?
Umm… because broccoli is good for you! And if I’m going to continue on my quest to be a healthier me, I simply must eat a daily dose of vegetables.
If you dig beer cheese soup as much as I do, you should probably also check out my easy slow cooker jalapeno chicken beer cheese soup recipe.
A thick, beer cheese soup, packed with the healthy goodness of broccoli and the delicious taste of smoked bacon makes this soup the PERFECT introduction to autumn!
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black or white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 12 liquid ounces beer (any variety), room temperature
- 24 liquid ounces (3 cups) whole or 2% milk
- 10 ounces shredded Kerrygold Red Leicster (or any other sharp cheddar) cheese, plus extra for garnish (if desired)
- 6 ounces shredded Kerrygold Dubliner (or any other nutty flavored) cheese
- 4 strips bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled bacon, plus extra for garnish (if desired)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) fresh steamed (or frozen) broccoli, chopped
- salt, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and all spices, except for salt. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are soft, approximately 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, steam (if using fresh) broccoli, and set aside. Also, heat milk in a saucepan over low heat, just until it's warmed through.
- Stir flour into onion and celery mixture and allow it to cook for about a minute. SLOWLY whisk in the beer and then the milk. (If you whisk in too quickly and/or your liquids are too cold, the fat will not combine with the liquid and you won't be able to get a nice, thick cheese sauce)
- After liquids have been incorporated, reduce heat to medium low and stir in the cheese. Allow to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the cheese doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add steamed or frozen broccoli and bacon and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes, then ladle into soup bowls, garnish as desired, and serve
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 295kcal Calories from fat 194|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 22g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||65%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Thank you so much for visiting me today!
If you make this recipe, I'd love it if you'd share a photo and/or give your feedback over on my Facebook page, Cooking with Chef Bec!