I am a lover of all things carbohydrate, be it biscuits, pasta, bread, crackers, or muffins. That’s why this buttermilk cornmeal biscuit recipe is a favorite of mine. The love tends to turn into an eating frenzy when what I’m eating is fluffy, warm, and slathered with a wonderful spread like honey butter.
I’ve made and consumed dozens of variations of biscuits over the years, and while some have been heavenly like these, which send me into a moan-y, semi-orgasmic state, I still remain somewhat of a purist when it comes to the perfect biscuit recipe.
The addition of cornmeal gives them a sweet flavor and crisp exterior that make them perfect when topped with spreads like honey butter, but they’re also great to serve with a savory dish like sausage gravy.
Let’s bake some buttermilk cornmeal biscuits!
Buttermilk Cornmeal Biscuits and Honey Butter
FOR THE BISCUITS
- 1 ½ cups (6.6 oz.) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 oz.(1 stick) COLD butter cut into 1/2 tablespoon sized pieces
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz.) buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons honey
FOR THE HONEY BUTTER
- 4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degree.
- In a large bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients until combined.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Try not to overwork the butter, keeping it as cold as possible.
- Add buttermilk and honey and mix with a fork until dough forms a ball (it will be sticky)
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4-5 times, adding flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Roll out into a 9” diameter circle and cut out biscuits with a 2” biscuit cutter that’s been dipped into flour. Place onto a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops of biscuit with buttermilk to help with browning and luster.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.
FOR THE HONEY BUTTER
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter and the honey until smooth and creamy.