Crockpot Italian chicken is a hearty, flavorful meal that’s cooked from start to finish in your slow cooker.
No time to cook? No worries! Turn your frown upside down with this delicious recipe for crockpot Italian chicken! It’s packed with healthy chicken breast, tender pasta, and lots of Italian flavors.
We were trying to figure out what to make for dinner. All we needed was to dethaw the chicken out of the freezer, pop everything in the slow cooker at the beginning of the day and dinner was served when we got home. DINNER WINNER!
Ingredients needed for our Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
As I mentioned we’ve been using just one protein in our dinner. Chicken! We absolutely love chicken for dinners and we’ve truly worked out how to cook it in the crockpot without drying it out.
You’ll also need. tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, garlic, spices and parmesan!
Overall, this dish is so easy to make with so much flavor it is constantly made in our household. We can’t wait for you to make this.
Between our Slow Cooker Chicken Stuffing Casserole and this.. I think our menu is set.
What to serve this chicken dinner with
Pasta – is a fantastic option and can easily be made into a gluten-free dinner using gluten-free pasta. We’ve used spaghetti noodles, fusili and even orzo if thats what you have on hand.
Rice – it is another lovely option and also gluten-free! We do enjoy the microwaveable rice packets immensely ourselves to quickly cook up some rice in under 5 minutes.
Cauliflower Rice – If you are looking for a low-carb alternative cauliflower rice is a FABULOUS option. Bonus, there are pre-packaged cauliflower rice packages out there in the freezer section that you are purchase so there is one less step for you to do. Buying head of cauliflower and making your own is still the best budget friendly way to go though.
Don’t you just hate when convenience comes at a cost? We personally are always looking to make budget friendly dinners but pre-cooked rice is truly one of those things we fall back on when we simply don’t have the time.
Can this Italian Chicken Dinner be frozen?
YES! This can actually be frozen before AND AFTER. This would be a fantastic crockpot meal-prep dinner. Simply throw it all in a freezer friendly bag and dump in the crockpot and cook according to instructions below when you ready to eat.
How long will it keep in freezer? Store in the freezer up to 4 months.
Ready to eat it? Allow to it to dethaw and simply dump in the crockpot and follow the cooking instructions and time below.
Grab your apron and get ready to get saucy with this recipe for slow cooker Italian chicken!
Crockpot Italian Chicken
- 28oz (1 can) whole tomatoes undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced and quartered, or 2 small cans
- 1 small bell pepper (any color) seeded and diced medium
- 1 small onion peeled and diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- prepared pasta or cauliflower rice for serving
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Place tomatoes in a large slow cooker (I used a 6 quart size)
- Use a small knife or fork to cut each tomato in half. Add tomato paste, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and herbs/spices. Stir to combine.
- Lay chicken thighs evenly over tomato mixture and stir to coat. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve over pasta or rice, with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.