Beach cupcakes are a fun and easy summer-themed dessert. In my opinion, the best cupcakes recipe to make for any summer party or to cheer you up in the middle of a cold winter!
I still can’t get over the unusually warm March we’re having here in northeastern Wisconsin. It’s been absolutely GORGEOUS! I keep thinking that because March came in like a lamb that there may be a late spring ice storm brewing up, but for now, I’m going to enjoy the sunshine. Enough so that I want to do some summer dreaming…making these beach cupcakes!
Apparently, I’m not the only one who is lovin’ the sunshine. A friend of mine requested summer-themed treats for a business meeting and I was oh, so happy to oblige. With creative license, I created a day at the beach…in cupcake form! Beach cupcakes really are a fun cupcakes recipe idea for any occasion, but especially during the summer.
How to Make Beach Cupcakes
- Use my Meyer lemon cupcakes recipe if you prefer cupcakes from scratch, but even a boxed lemon cupcake mix works great.
- Next, add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract. I like my lemon cupcakes to have an extra burst of lemon flavor, and that’s exactly what the extract helps with.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, spread a thin layer of frosting over the top of each one. I use a simple vanilla buttercream, using the tried and true Wilton recipe that you can find HERE.
- For the sand, use crushed Meyer lemon cookies. You can find them at Trader Joes, or [amazon_textlink asin=’B0080AS25W’ text=’online’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a03afde5-4a02-11e7-ac78-9193058c185d’]. More lemon….more love. Oh yeahhhh…
- Make the “ocean” using [amazon_textlink asin=’B0018AKRZE’ text=’blue sugar sprinkles’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0c33f5ae-a5dc-11e8-aa7c-49de96b7baf8′]. Spoon them on so that they won’t get into the “sand” too much, then use the back of a spoon to press the sugar into the frosting a bit.
- For the beach ball, I use [amazon_textlink asin=’B00IWBXOF2′ text=’Sixlet candies’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1ddd98dc-a5dc-11e8-a010-e55f9ca36057′]. Originally, I thought about using gumballs, but opted for something a bit smaller. Use whatever little round candies you enjoy or have on hand.
Making the beach chair for the beach cupcakes was my biggest challenge.
I looked everywhere for Fruit Stripe gum, but apparently, it can only be found at old time novelty candy stores, and I didn’t have time to [amazon_textlink asin=’B00G5B6KZ2′ text=’order it online’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2f41d49e-4a03-11e7-8f2c-170a98e29d82′].
So, I put on my detective cap and bolted for the dollar store to pour over the candy collection. That’s where I found [amazon_textlink asin=’B004PXMKQK’ text=’sour candy strips’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4eb5488c-4a03-11e7-b523-233dcb417083′]. Thinking they would bend like a stick of gum, I shaped them to look like a beach chair, but. BOIIIIINGGG…. they snapped right out of shape. Even royal icing isn’t strong enough to hold the candy in place, but a toothpick works!! Poke the toothpick end of a [amazon_textlink asin=’B000FAGW16′ text=’cocktail umbrella’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’chebecskit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’75d43c10-4a03-11e7-9e53-471fe2638569′] through the candy strips to hold them into place. PERFECT!
Don’t you think these beach cupcakes look a big ol’ beach party?
Check out this quick video tutorial to see how easy these beach cupcakes are to make! There’s a printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
Beach Cupcakes Recipe Video
I hope you’ll try making these Day at the Beach cupcakes, too. If you do, please share your photos with me!
More easy summer dessert recipes to try: