Patriotic recipes are one of my favorite things about Memorial Day and Independence Day parties. These firecracker cupcakes are one of my favorite patriotic recipes. They’re a fun and delicious way to decorate your table for any patriotic event.
This is my submission for the fourth day of Kick Off to Summer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Lauren of From Gate to Plate and Summer of Summer Scraps. This event is sponsored by some great businesses. We weren’t compensated for our posts, but the sponsors have provided prizes to give away.
Memorial Day is less than 2 weeks away, and summer’s not far behind. That’s why we’ve teamed up to give you ideas for your warm weather party activities. Each day this week, we’ll bring you a variety of recipes and entertaining ideas. Everything from appetizers, main dishes, and desserts, to decor and printables. We hope you enjoy all of these wonderful posts! You can also follow #KickOffToSummerWeek2014 on Twitter to keep up to date with all of our spectacular ideas and giveaways.
Today’s sponsor is World Market. I love World Market! From furniture and accessories to food and drink, they’ve got everything you need for entertaining. They have beautiful multicultural pieces that are unique and stylish (from over 50 countries!). Work Market has something for every room, every theme, every occasion, and every season – and their Gourmet groceries are fabulous! I seriously wish I could win this fabulous prize! Did you know that you can follow World Market on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter? Yup, now you do :).
So, I owe you a big apology. I’m SO VERY SORRY! I’ve done a horrible thing here.
I’ve broken nearly every single baking rule that I set for myself and this blog last year. I made a vow to stop using boxed cake mixes, but here I am, showing you a recipe that used TWO of them!
I also promised not to use any more artificial food coloring, and whoops, bring on the blue! To top it off, I said that I wouldn’t post dessert recipes that are full on, 100% junk food. *KABOOM* #BloggerFail These firecracker cupcakes were made with boxed cake mixes, canned frosting, and they’re loaded with teeth rotting, mouth popping, totally fun candy inside.
But they’re so much fun and they’re so easy to make that your kids will be able to help you!
I got the idea from Pinterest and I just couldn’t stop obsessing over them. I had a feeling that you would love them too, and I hate to disappoint you, so I made them!
Aren’t I thoughtful?
Don’t forget to scroll down for more patriotic recipes!
These firecracker cupcakes will be a hit at your Memorial Day or 4th of July party! They're stuffed with Pop Rocks candy for a delicious explosion of fun!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/2 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- blue food coloring
- 3 packages Pop Rocks candy
- Black licorice ropes
- White frosting (less than 1/4 cup)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Make 8 ounces (1/2 box) of red velvet cake batter according to box directions, adding 1/2 cup sour cream before mixing. Be sure to use HALF of the ingredient amounts called for on the box! Set bowl aside.
- Make white cake batter according to directions on box, adding 1/2 cup sour cream before mixing. Split cake batter into two equal amounts, adding blue food coloring to one portions until a bright blue color is achieved.
- Coat three, 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray and lightly flour the bottoms. Add the three batters to the pans and bake at 350 degrees for 18-23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out with a few crumbs.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans on wire racks, then turn out from pans onto a cutting board.
- Using a 1.5 inch round cookie cutter, cut circles from each of the baked cakes. (You should get about 8 circles from each cake.
- Using a jumbo sized straw or an apple corer, remove the center from each of the cake circles. Be sure to save the centers from the red and blue cupcakes, as you'll need them to plug the bottom of the blue cupcakes and the top of the red cupcakes after filling them.
- Pipe a line of frosting around the top edge of the red and white cake circles. Stack the white cakes on top of the blue cakes and the red cakes on top of the white cakes.
- Add Pop Rocks down the hollow centers of the stacked cakes. Put a portion of the red cake plugs back into the tops, covering the center filled with Pop Rocks.
- Use kitchen to cut licorice rope pieces approximately 1-1/2 inches long and insert them into the centers of the red cakes.
For maximum popping potential, pour the Pop Rocks into the cake centers no earlier than one hour before serving. The moisture in the cakes will cause the Pop Rocks to snap and crackle a little bit right away. After about four hours the Pop Rocks lose most of their popping power, so plan accordingly. br]
Recipe adapted from [She Knows
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1069kcal Calories from fat 470|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 52g||80%|
|Saturated Fat 28g||140%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|
We’ve just passed mid-week and we’re still rolling out more Memorial Day ideas for you! Look at all the awesome ideas the rest of the Kick Off to Summer Week bloggers have put together for today!
Macaroni Egg Salad by From Gate to Plate
Summer Fruit with White Chocolate Dip by Summer Scraps
Grilled Caesar Salad by Keep it Simple, Sweetie
Firecracker Cupcakes by It’s Yummi
Pasta Salad by Forty Eighteen
Red, White and Blueberry Cups by Bits of Ivory
Cowboy Coffee Cake by Lady Behind the Curtain
All American Burger by The Freshman Cook
No-Bake Cookie Butter Cookies by Clarks Condensed
Crispy Potatoes and Fennel by Love in the Kitchen
Asian Grilled Chicken Skewers by It’s a Keeper
Potato Salad by Life on Food
Outdoor Water Games by Play. Party. Pin.