Low Carb Meyer Lemon Mug Cake is the new sugar free dessert in town, and this little gem so delicious! In just 3 minutes, you can be enjoying this low carb mug cake. It’s the quickest lemon dessert I’ve ever made!
Living happy and healthy is my focus this year, and creating healthier desserts is one sure fire way to experience happy healthiness!
For those of you who prefer indulgent recipes like this one (one of my most indulgent recipe of 2013!) please know that there is STILL a place setting for you at my virtual table. I’ll still be posting those tasty treats, too. I’d never deny you access to yummi comfort foods! 🙂
Feeling Positive about Lemons (and Mug Cakes)
Have you noticed how often lemons are associated with negativity? People say things like “Don’t be a sour puss.” or “When life gives you lemons, add sugar (or tequila!) and make lemonade.”
I’m here to say that lemons make me smile. They’re bright and they remind me of sunshine. Oh, and MEYER LEMONS are the best, because they’ve got a sweetness about them that you won’t find in traditional lemons. When sunshine arrives in the middle of a dreary, cold winter, it’s time to celebrate happiness and healthiness!
How we made this Meyer Lemon Mug Cake Low Carb?
I made this delicious Meyer Lemon Mug Cake Recipe lower in carbs by replacing the traditional, all-purpose flour with my favorite substitute, Bob’s Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix. It’s only got 6 net carbs per serving! You can find it in most whole food stores, but I buy mine in a 4-pack from Amazon to keep the cost down. If you want or need the recipe to be gluten free, you can substitute almond meal instead.
As far as artificial sweeteners go, I’m partial to either erythritol or the low-glycemic “Pre-Sweet™” from NuNaturals. You can substitute just about any granulated (non-liquid) form of sweetener that you’d like, and of course, you can always use real sugar, too. If you use liquid sweeteners, you’ll need to reduce the amount of dry ingredients accordingly.
So who’s ready to make a delicious, healthy low carb dessert… in less than 3 minutes?! How is that even possible?! Grab your apron and I’ll meet you in the kitchen to show you!
Low Carb Meyer Lemon Mug Cake
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons erythritol (or granular sugar works as well if not low carb)
- Zest and juice of one Meyer lemon divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- fresh mint (optional for garnish)
- fresh berries (optional for garnish)
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond flour, sugar substitute, lemon zest, baking powder and salt.
- Add lemon juice, melted butter and egg, and stir until well combined.
- Divide mixture between two microwave-safe mugs and microwave each separately for 1 minute and 20 seconds (if your microwave is stronger than 1000 watts, reduce time by 15 seconds).
- Remove from microwave, top with whipped cream, fresh berries, and mint.
- Serve and enjoy!