Popcorn peanut brittle is a salty-sweet treat, perfect for game day munchies, holiday food gifts, or for no special occasion at all!
Guess what today is?! Come on….guess! OK yes, it’s 4 days until my birthday, but that’s not newsworthy. What IS newsworthy, however, is that today is national popcorn day AND national peanut brittle day! Three cheers for confectionary creations that crack your teeth!
Hey, dentists have families to support too, so I may as well do my part in keeping food on their table by devouring a
pan couple of pieces of today’s confectionery creation… POPCORN PEANUT BRITTLE!
This stuff could easily become a new gateway drug. It’s the perfect combination of salty and sweet, and it’s so incredibly easy to make, you won’t believe your eyes.
Most people shy away from making candy and confections because they don’t want to mess with candy thermometers, but I’m here to be your confection cherub…. this is a recipe that is made entirely with the use of a MICROWAVE! See, those little rays are good for more than warming up a cup of coffee!
Of course, if you’re a member of PETF (people for the ethical treatment of food), you are certainly welcome to pop your corn on the stove top, grab a candy thermometer, and go to town.
No matter how you make this popcorn treat, it’s absolutely yummi.
If you love popcorn treats like this, check out my recipe for salted caramel apple popcorn cookies. That’s right.. popcorn in cookies is a delicious thing!
Recommended tools and supplies you may need to make the brittle:
Jelly Roll Pan – The size of a jelly roll pan is slightly larger than a quarter sheet cake pan.
Candy Thermometer – The one shown below is my favorite. It can be used for liquids and solids, and it registers up to 572 F, so it’s safe to use on a grill, too!
These items are Amazon affiliate links. They won’t cost you any more, but I receive a few cents from the sale of them. I use the affiliate commissions to help maintain this website, so thank you in advance for your support!
Get some popcorn peanut brittle into your life, as soon as possible!
Popcorn Peanut Brittle Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry-roasted peanuts or shelled raw peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup popped popcorn
- Combine sugar,corn syrup, and salt into a large (4-6 cup capacity) glass bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes; add peanuts and microwave 2 more minutes (using a 1,000-watt microwave. If your microwave is less than 1,000-watt, microwave an additional 4 minutes) CAUTION! The sugar mixture will be VERY hot (beyond the boiling point), so use care when removing it from the microwave
- Carefully stir in the remaining ingredients. The mixture will bubble and may splatter when you stir in the ingredients, so please be careful!
- Pour into a buttered jelly roll pan or quarter sheet cake pan ; shake pan or use a heat resistant silicone spatula to spread the mixture thinly and evenly in the pan.
- Cool until firm, then break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.